Should I wait for the i7-5930k?

bobjackson

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
I am planning a new build for around $2500, which will be for editing and processing large HD video files and photos. The build is a bit overkill for now, but I wan't it to still be relevant in another few years without any additional upgrades.

I had originally planned on using an i7-4930k and a GTX 770, but I'm wondering if waiting for the 5930k and an X99 motherboard will give me any noticeable gains. The motherboard I had already chosen was the ASUS X79 deluxe. Is there going to be a significant price increase in these new parts, compared to their equivalents in existing parts.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DerpyHackintosh

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
There will probable be a considerable gain in perfomance, but it will, of course, cost a more because DDR4 memory will be expensive because it has not been released to the consumer market. Seeing as Intel has kept the X79 platform for quite some time, the X99 platform will stay relevant for a long time. The CPU itself will cost about the same, but I am not sure about motherboard pricing, since they have not come out yet. You should probably wait because Haswell-E will be released in September!

bobjackson

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Thanks for the help. I'll hold off on any purchases until then. That will also give me time to figure out exactly which GPU I'll be getting.