DDR3 2400 RAM compatibility

Basheer M

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Okay thanks. Also a friend told me it also depends on my cpu what it supports because it might damage my cpu and void the guarantee. I have a intel i5 3570k and I don't really know what it supports.

And I currently have 2 sticks 2x2 gb 1333mhz If I buy this new ram can I leave my current ram in with it so in total get 12 gb ram? (2x2(1333) and 2x4gb (new ram)

As long as you stay within the temperature and voltage ranges specified by the manufacturers, you will not void your warranty. For that CPU, 0.25V-1.52V and Tj Max 105C. Running it with 2400 sticks, even at it's rated OC speed and voltage (2400MHz and 1.65V with your XMP profile enabled in BIOS) will not damage your CPU. The worst thing that can happen is that your CPU's memory controller voltage at stock is insufficient to manage the DRAM at that speed and voltage, in which case your system will either fail to boot or BSOD, in which case you simply increase your MC voltage slightly.

Mixing sets is not recommended, but might work - you'll have to try it to find out. If they do work, you'll have 12GB total DRAM available, but you'll probably be running at 1333 MHz and 1.5V as a default. IF they work together, you might be able to increase their speed to 1600, but that will require some finessing of the timings. If you're going to do that, getting 2400s is a complete waste of money.

If you want to mix sets, you're more likely to be successful it the sticks are identical, i.e. get another set of 1333MHz sticks identical to your current set.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
You will prob be able to run 2400 with your 3570K, many can, though then again many can't, if you get 2400 and have troubles give me a shout (I've got 32GB of 2400 with my 3570K, in sig), at worse can drop to 2133 and tighten timings for near same performance at 2133 as the stock 2400 settings

Basheer M

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

So, If I understood correctly, my cpu recommended voltage is upto 1.52 ? Getting a higher voltage (1.65) would work but will it void the warranty? Sorry I'm not familiar with these things.
I don't plan on OC anytime soon, at a later stage yes. But I do want good quality and RAM that can last me a good few years. I still have 3 years warranty on my cpu and I don't want to loose it. And I do want what I'm paying for

I heard the Corsair dominator was very good for gaming and quality ram that's why I chose it, I don't really know much.
Whats the difference between the vengeance and dominator? This one does look good though I haven't made a choice yet

Once again thanks for helping me understand better everyone and sorry for replying so late.

My budget is max around 190$.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think you'll see much difference in performance en kingston makes good ram as well.This one is reviewed so take a look.
The matter is that there's a big difference in price that you won't see back in performance,so my choice would be the kingston ram.

The voltages I referenced were for the CPU, not for the DRAM. My point was that if you keep your CPU temps and voltages within the specced range, that's all you need to be concerned about when it comes to the warranty. Once again, running 1.65V DRAM will not do anything to your CPU, including damaging it or voiding your warranty. In fact, even if you were able to figure out a way to somehow fry your chip by running OCed DRAM, there's absolutely no way for Intel to know what kind of DRAM you were running unless you told them. The worst case scenario running DRAM at 2400 and 1.65V is that your chip's memory controller isn't able to manage them - in which case you just return the DRAM, and get something slower.

If all you want is some good quality sticks for gaming, and you don't want to have to use the XMP setting to get the rated speed or go over 1.5V, consider these:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbsr%2Cgskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbxl/

If you want higher performance and want to give the XMP profile a shot, then consider the sticks below: you won't see a huge improvement for just gaming, but you will for all-around computing.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/gskill-memory-f317000cl9d8gbsr%2Cgskill-memory-f32400c10d8gtx/

The Corsairs are good sticks too, but the Dominators are overpriced and overrated. The Kingston sticks are good, but slower than the Tridents. As Vic 40 says, you may not notice the difference.