Jan 16, 2014
Hi im about to upgrade my pc but i dont know what i should buy my specs now:
motherboard :asus m4a785td-v evo
cpu: amd phenom ii x4 965 be
gpu: asus amd radeon r9 280
ram: some random 8gb 1333
psu: corsair vs650
hdd:some random 500gb 7200rpm sata

what do you people think i should upgrade?

G

I say the PSU, especially for such a high-powered build as that one is. The VS series isn't going to hold out long on that.

After that, possibly the RAM, if it's two sticks totalling to 8GB then forget this part, but if it's a single stick - Or even some unbranded stuff, then it could be due for an upgrade. 1333MHz really ought to be 1600.

It might be worth investing in a small SSD/HDD combo to replace that 500GB. Speed and storage increases are always a good thing.

As for everything else, the GPU is pretty decent - The CPU is relatively old tech, but it should be able to hold out for a little bit longer.
With this being said, if you have the money, a good Z87 & 4th Gen Intel CPU will be a good combo, or a Z97 and 4th Gen Devil's Canyon slightly better.

Definitely ditch that power supply.

logainofhades

Titan
While the PSU isn't the greatest, it still will hold up fine for an upgrade. We used to run far more power hungry hardware, on not as great PSU's, not that long ago. My old overclocked Kentsfield system was quite power hungry. X3210 @ 3.6ghz with a 9800gx2. I would venture to say that the VS650 is probably a bit better than my old Gen 1 TX750 from 5yrs ago. Personally, I would go with something like this. Could go about $20 cheaper and choose a pro4, if you don't want an M.2 slot.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($247.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $347.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-25 12:12 EDT-0400

G

Overclocking would require a better cooler. It would also skyrocket the TDP, which, considering it starts at 140w is quite a silly idea on that power supply.

Not to mention, your motherboard doesn't look up to it.

Ditch the power supply and save a bit for a good CPU/MOBO combo later down the line, I say.
140w + the 250w (I believe?) for the card does put a whole lot of strain on such a cheap supply, if it can take it or not is really luck of the draw.

connydaa

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

i bought cooler master tx3 evo yesterday
so could i oc with that

G

Ehhhhh kinda, a little. It's not a fantastic cooler but it's alright.

You still run in to the TDP issue though, increasing voltages increases power consumption, that PSU is over stretched as it is.

connydaa

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

okay what psu would you recommend

logainofhades

Titan

You really are underestimating that PSU. :lol: Also the X4 965 CPU is a 125w chip. Even with a 220w, FX 9590 with R9 280, you would be at about 510w in a full system. The Phenom II isn't going to go that high of wattage. 650w is still safe. It isn't Corsair's best offering, but you are making it sound far worse than what it really is. OP, either go with an i5 4xxx and that motherboard I listed or the Xeon. Either don't need to be overclocked, and consume less power than your current CPU. The PSU is not the problem here, an old and outdated CPU is your problem.

connydaa

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

but i prefer amd cpus because intel is so expensive. but if you got and ''cheap'' intel idea of gaming motherboard and cpu so tell me :)

G

Well I wouldn't hold out any faith to it. It's one of those 'just enough' PSUs, it has all the same protections as a decent supply which certainly makes it better than the cheap unbranded tat, but while that may mean it won't blow up on you - it doesn't necessarily mean it won't suddenly die - Definitely when you're loading it with over half of its maximum wattage, the cheap components inside aren't going to last very long.

It's a solid PSU line for non-gaming, non-heavy workload machines.

I really must be losing it today o_O Previously owned a 955 BE before which was a 140w TDP chip, I seem to recall the 965, which was the slightly higher clocked, higher binned version also had the same TDP.
Could it be a stepping thing? I believe I had the C3 stepping... or something, it's been a while.

logainofhades

Titan

You can switch out the Xeon I mentioned for an i5, if budget dictates it. We can go a bit cheaper on the board too. I just went with a well featured H97 board. The H97 pro4 is only about $20 less.

logainofhades

Titan

The 955 was 95w and 125w. There are some 140w 965's out there on a very early stepping. I have only seen 125w versions for sale, personally. Even then, the VS 650 is still good enough for this build. PSU can be changed for a better one later. It's not like they are running some $25 special no name.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%20965%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDZ965FBK4DGM%20(HDZ965FBGMBOX).html

G

That's interesting, always assumed it was a 140w chip.
Overclocking may well be an option for the OP then, but it seems a bit silly to invest in a high-performing CPU heatsink for a fairly old processor.
I just think that Phenom could hold out a little longer for the next iteration of Intel chips, the PSU and the storage would be taking priority in the short term if it were me.

Still not recommending the PSU though, at the very least upgrade it down the line.
I know I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable working on it.