can't enable XMP since moving back from Windows 8 to Windows 7

Krenim1

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
I recently built a PC (see below for spec) and installed Windows 8, after ironing out a few issues by updating the bios I had this problem of when I first switch on the PC everything spins up for a second then stops for about 3 to 4 seconds then it boots as normal. I looked on Asus's website and came accross somebody else with the same problem and the answer they were given was to enable the XMP(extreme memory profile), so this is what i did and sure enough it cured the problem! After a while I decided I didnt really like Windoiws 8 so I decided to wipe everything and start again by clean installing Windows 7. After the installation I got my problem back, so I went to the bios to enable XMP to correct the problem, but after enabling XMP profile1 the system gets upto just before the windows logo is about to come up then reboots and just keeps doing the same. I am not super techy so I would appreciate any help I can get with a solutiuon to the problem!

PC Spec:
Asus P9X79 Delux motherboard
Intel core I7 4930K 3.4GHz socket 2011 processor
Samsung 840 EVO 500gb SSD
Toshiba 7K3000D 3TB 6GB's HDD
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 2400Mhz PC3-19200C9
MSI Geforce GTX760 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5
Corsair AX860i Digitsl ATX Power Supply
Corsair Hydro H100i liquid CPU cooler
CM Storm Stryker Full Tower Gaming case

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Well you could try upping the RAM voltage a little (never above 1.65v though!), lowering the RAM frequency or loosening the timings. It's far from perfect but if it makes a difference it al least narrows the issue down. Could be that Windows 7 deals with RAM a little differently than Windows 8 and that's causing some stability issues at high RAM frequencies/low timings.

Which version of Windows 7 do you have?

Krenim1

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
no there was no OC, never bothered just put on the XMP! Being a newbie I don't really now enough about it to be confident enough to attempt Over clocking.