Monitor issue after power outage

Arisenone1

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I have an Acer S231HL bid 23-Inch Widescreen Ultra-Slim LED monitor. I got it in 2012 and it has served me well with no problems, until today. My entire town had a power outage out of the blue, power in my house shut down for about 20 seconds and then kicked back on. Everything else is fine, I even had my monitor plugged into a surge protector.

The problem is multiple things. I cannot power it OFF, the LED power button remains blue at all times. Normally, when turning the monitor on, it will light up blue, if it idles with no display, it will turn orange after a few seconds, if everything is normal with display, it will remain blue. Now, it simply stays blue no matter what. The second I plug it in, the light is blue. I cannot get a display, nor can I power it off by pushing the power button. I must unplug the monitor entirely to get it off. I've tried leaving it unplugged for an hour and plugged it into different outlets in different rooms, disconnected from my tower entirely. I have also tried rebooting my PC and into safe mode several times to see if it would kick the monitor on.

I'm not sure what's wrong or if it's entirely dead or what. Would love some word on this.

Solution
I'm not an expert, but I'll provide some input that may or may not help.

I had an old monitor that I used for years without any problem, and one day is just flat out stopped displaying images. This was a long time ago, and I don't remember if the light was on or not while it was plugged in. I believe it was. There was regular brown outs, which could have caused it that particular day.

What I learned after some research, is that the common cause for these issues is a bad capacitor inside the monitor.
I do not know if this is the issue with your monitor or not, but capacitors are basically these cylinders on the main board inside, and they store electrical power.

In my case, I bought some capacitors for around $15. I took the monitor...

Arisenone1

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I have no on screen display at all, not from the computer nor the menu options from within the monitor itself. The problem goes beyond just display issues - the bigger issue seems to be a power one. The screen remains black at all times and it's powered on with a blue LED as soon as I plug it in, the only way to turn it off is to unplug it.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I'm not an expert, but I'll provide some input that may or may not help.

I had an old monitor that I used for years without any problem, and one day is just flat out stopped displaying images. This was a long time ago, and I don't remember if the light was on or not while it was plugged in. I believe it was. There was regular brown outs, which could have caused it that particular day.

What I learned after some research, is that the common cause for these issues is a bad capacitor inside the monitor.
I do not know if this is the issue with your monitor or not, but capacitors are basically these cylinders on the main board inside, and they store electrical power.

In my case, I bought some capacitors for around $15. I took the monitor apart, and (using a soldering gun) replaced the faulty capacitor.

If you're a daring individual willing to take apart your screen to check, a faulty capacitor can usually be identified by the shape. The tops are meant to be flat, and over time, a lot of them start to round. If you see one exceptionally rounded or even worse, leaking some sort of gunk, that's probably the problem. Or at least A problem.

Naturally this is more of a "worst case scenario" suggestion, so you might want to wait around a bit longer to see if anyone else has a better answer for you. Hopefully this helps.

Edit: Just noticed your monitor is an extra-slim. Might be more annoying then mine was to disassemble.

Solution