What failures were you confronted with in your life.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Hard to forget with three pinned topics about it... good thing someone come to remind us.
i can speak serenely with sort of Sword of Damograpes, anyway.

But can someone tell me what can of "failures" we are talking about ? you mean failures like a feeling of powerlessness ? or more like bankruptcy ?
i'm not sure to get this properly...

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Failures that you were confronted with personally.Like school or job failures.

Well I can't pee as far as I used to!

Does that count? :)

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hmm. When I was 17 I got fired from a steakhouse for not being able to cook a steak properly by touch, without a meat thermometer.

Four years later, I can cook a steak in my sleep, so good you'd think Ramsey made it.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Go see a urologist than.I am serious about this topic.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Once I lost a 31yo patient due to a cardiorespiratory arrest.
I continued chest compressions and lung ventilations for more than 30 minutes.

There were his friends around him.
We were close to a public place, so I asked them to call the fire department (fastest way to bring someone in emergency) and seek for the closest automatic defibrillator.

The guy who had gone to get the defibrillator went back to tell me it was locked up and he did not have the key. I yelled at him that he breaks the glass. (i know i shouldn't have yell, but... in this kind of situation... i was more angry against the dumbass who locked the defibrillator)

Firefighters arrived with the only truck in the brigade that had no defibrillator by lack of resources. (thank you Mr. Mayor)
This poor guy died.

whenever a patient dies, it is a little considered a failure.
But when a young buddy dies because of CPR equipment ...
Hard to sleep when someone dies when he should have been saved several times.

k1ng0d

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Well one of my failures That was that I was working on a computer and it would turn on but my screen wasn't I checked the GPU the ram everything after 2 hours of just looking and trying I figured out what was wrong....... I forgot to plug the power into my monitor so I did and it started right up. I consider that a failure

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
My heart goes out to you being a dedicated doctor and this happens.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Well since we're sharing....Mine would be taking too long to grow up, living like a frat boy too long and not having children of my own. Now at 51 and having helped raise my wife's 2 boys from a previous marriage (and loving them like my own) there is something to say about having your own children. We tried to have our own but my wife had health issues that prevented it..... Now after helping raise them from 3 & 5 yrs old to 18 & 20 they don't show the closeness we had of their youth. They show it to mom but not me....and show more to their father that comes into and out of their life but not the guy that sacrificed everything including risking my life (extremely dangerous job), my inheritance, every single cent I have ever earned, time I spend with them and fixing damn near everything they broke or needed replacement.

So as long as we're being honest here, my biggest failure is not growing up sooner and having kids of my own!!!

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I've indirectly killed two people.

Once was when I was crossing the road. I walked forward without looking at the road first. A girl on her phone was playing a game on her phone and listening to music and followed me. I realised a car was coming and stepped back. She didn't.

The other incident I am guilty of is a grandma fainted in front of me. I panicked and ran away instead of giving her CPR.

Read about both deaths in the local paper. This is why I have trouble sleeping at night.

Another glass of wine please.

Marv, remember when your parents said there a people who have it worse than you have? I'm not saying that is my single life philosophy, but there is a reason why I try to keep my mouth,( or at least I should keep,) shut. Becasue there is someone out there who has it worse off. To be honest, it would make me sound like a whiny little b*tch if I said anything.

I really should just keep my mouth shut.

I don't even know why I posted yesterday?

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Everyone has failures and you have too. If you haven't failed at something then you haven't learned anything. Perception is what Marv was asking for, ones self observed failures. Will someone always have it worse? Of course but that is irrelevant because the flip side of that comment is someone will always have it better, much better.

I posted because it is the first time I have been asked it in any blog or forum and my biggest failure is a personal one. Have I had professional ones, yep and horrible ones, ones that almost killed me more than a few times but my personal one is the one that I perceive as the biggest one.
I notice Marv asked for failures, plural as in more than one. So I'll add my second biggest failure, albeit at the request of my boss.

I was a tower climber and had to to take down a small 80' Titan free standing tower. It looked like a Rhon guyed tower without the guy wires and I had done this a thousand times before. I climbed to the top with my gin pole and unbolted everything. I tried to hoist up the top section but no luck it wouldn't budge. I questioned the weight of the section and my boss called the company to see how much it weighed. They said 185 lbs. The gin pole was rated for 250lbs. Since it was stuck my boss bought an automotive jack and I used it to lift up the tower section. When it came up. it started falling and swung back towards the tower. Since I was using two lanyards to secure my self I jumped off the tower behind where the top section swung down and hit. The 10' tower section spun wildly as it fell punching a hole in an office building roof then landed right near where my boss was standing. Everybody in the building came out and was pissed and looked up at me thinking WTF? What an idiot!
This was extremely humiliating but it was beyond my control.

BTW- after confronting the manufacturer of the weight they said when we called they just asked a guy in the warehouse what the weight was. They said the section weighed 387lbs...waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the limit of the gin pole.

We ended up removing the rest of it by crane...

To me, Marv asked each of us to be honest and sharing without judgement, like a close friend would ask. I've spoke about a personal and professional failure, why not you?

FYI- There are no whiny b#tches when someone asks you a question.

Since this was your thread Marv, my challenge to you in the beginning was to you to share your failures first, which you have not done, Why?

Are you ashamed of your failures so much you won't even share the main reason of this thread, or are you just wanting to relish in others failures so yours doesn't seem so bad?

I'm sharing mine, after you share yours, and if you don't, I'm done with this thread.

TRENDING THREADS