Why is Linux better than Windows? And should I switch to a Linux OS?

Kiddterralv

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Hi, I've been thinking about changing my OS from Windows 7 to a Linux based one, I hear Ubuntu is loved by many.
But before I do anything, I wanted some extra information on Linux.
Why is Linux better than Windows, both Windows 7 and 8?
What are its best features?
What can you do on Linux OS's but not on Windows?
What is the best Linux OS? And why?
I mainly watch movies on Netflix, do work and play games on my laptop, is this suitable for a Linux OS? I read somewhere that Linux OS's don't have many games supported on it, I guess I can game on my PC instead.
Is it easy to use?
I enjoy my privacy, are there good tools for this?
What kind of support does Linux receive from other software makes like Adobe, Java etc.?
I don't expect everyone to answer all the questions, that may take a long time and I don't want to waste your time, just answer the ones you can please.
Thank you to everyone in advance, I appreciate your help. :)

If you play games, stick to Windows. Most top-shelf games don't have Linux ports, and don't run well (if at all) under Linux' Wine or PlayOnLinux.
There are Linux ports for Adobe Reader, Java, Eclipse - you can spend your online day under Linux.
There are (even free) alternatives for Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and many more other applications.
There is no "best Linux". But for starters, Ubuntu or Mint are good choces.

So, my advice is - don't throw away your Windows yet. You can try Linux on LiveCD/LiveUSB, you can dual-boot, you can install it under a virtual machine. Then make the decision for yourself.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
Someone could write a dissertation on each of your questions. I am partisan to Linux 1) it is free and does not lock you in to Microsoft or Apple ecosystems; 2) it is almost completely virus-free; 3) you can customize it to be as lightweight or as many features as you want.

There is no "best" Linux, it depends on what you are using it for. I personally use XUbuntu, but have also used Ubuntu and Linux Mint-Cinnamon.

The only things you cannot do in Linux are gaming and working on Microsoft documents in their native format. Certainly you can get on the internet. Unfortunately Netflix is one of the more famous trouble spots for Linux although that is starting to change. Netflix has always used Microsoft Silverlight format for streaming video which has required a lot of complex workarounds. According to this article, it is now working in Google Chrome with a couple of settings tweaks but not being a Netflix subscriber I cannot personally guarantee it:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/netflix-linux-html5-support-plugins

I don't have any problems with the Linux equivalents of Flash or Java...but you never know what will happen.

Wishnu

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Windows is best for games while Linux is best for programming purposes personally from my experience.Although windows is a very nice operating system,Windows 10 disappointed me very much and coming to performance I feel windows is a bit a laggy compared to Linux distros.I use both the operating systems based on requirement you can dual boot windows and Linux.Choosing a Linux distro which suits your requirements is also a headache but i would recommend you to go with Xubuntu it is stable and good performance and user interface wise.
Here is an article to tell you why Linux could be a better option than windows.
http://www.airtute.com/view/Why_you_should_switch_to_Linux_from_Windows_.html
Hope this helped. :)

PCtryhard

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Linux IS NOT for gaming. But, if your selected Linux Distribution supports Steam for Linux, you should be able to play some games. As for support of other programs/software, it depends on what it is. I would do some research on the stuff you use most often. And yes, Linux does typically have some good security options. That being said, it is usually more secure that windows anyway. Like others have said, there is no "best", just what you like. As for me, I am liking Mint more and more. -PCth