Calibration of my monitor - Been looking everywhere

PretendGnome

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Hey guys - I got an issue.
So recently after building my PC the first thing I hooked up was a Samsung TV while i waited for a monitor, nice colors, kinda pixely but whatever
I got an Acer H6 Series afterwards, an IPS monitor and it had alot of backlight bleeding but what bothered me the most is the colors were kinda grey like if the gamma was too high and the calibration tool does nothing
(Using HDMI)

I returned this monitor to BestBuy and now have a VX228 Asus monitor, which to my dismay, has the same issue, but better.
Its too brightish looking, like the calibration is way off
i'm using it with an hdmi/dvi adapter
And I can use it with an hdmi
My GPU is a GTX 770
I contacted a friend about this after literally finding nothing on google and he told me to go into my nvidia panel and switch under color display RGB to YCB-- whatever
The monitor looked SO much better, just maybe a few little fixes.

But now when I opened a game on Steam the monitor goes back to its bad mode pretty much and looks like complete crap.
What can I do guys? Is it my GPU? Can that be a thing? That my graphics card is just defective or something?

Solution
have you been to sites such as http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and adjusted your monitor to match all of the tests?

as for rgb vs ycbcr, rgb tends to be a bit more vibrant colorwise but sometimes people set the black levels too low on tests which means details can be lost in shadows. both of them can look good if properly calibrated.

now... keep in mind that you can change color values on your monitor and in nvidia control panel. generally i would say to adjust it on your monitor if possible so that the changes are absolute across the board and to leave your nvidia settings on defaults but you can technically make some slight changes on either.

also be aware that monitor color temperature will affect settings globally as well. low...
have you been to sites such as http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and adjusted your monitor to match all of the tests?

as for rgb vs ycbcr, rgb tends to be a bit more vibrant colorwise but sometimes people set the black levels too low on tests which means details can be lost in shadows. both of them can look good if properly calibrated.

now... keep in mind that you can change color values on your monitor and in nvidia control panel. generally i would say to adjust it on your monitor if possible so that the changes are absolute across the board and to leave your nvidia settings on defaults but you can technically make some slight changes on either.

also be aware that monitor color temperature will affect settings globally as well. low values (2000k) are "warm" and will be more red/yellow in appearance while high values (12000k) are "cool" and will be more blue. a slightly warm appearance makes for less eye strain while a slightly cooler appearance can generate stark and bright whites but will generally make colors rather faded. a slightly warm temperature (say between 3000-5000k) is adviseable.

Solution

carmona87

Reputable
May 14, 2014
All new monitors tend to be to bright, with too much contrast and too high saturated. This sells better, but these aren't correct colours. So a first option is one of these charts like the lagom chart. A further step if you want to have reliable colors would be calibrating with a hardware tool like a Spyder4.