Did I buy a dud?

Jaexyn

Honorable
Jun 11, 2014
So I recently (couple days ago) bought a new motherboard (MSI Z97 Gaming 5) and processor (i5 4690k) because I thought my old motherboard (ASRock Z77 Pro3) blew a capacitor or something. Come to find out it was my old PSU (OCZ 700W) that was the bad guy, so I replaced it with a Corsair CX750M. Hooked everything back up, made the case look all pretty and uncluttered, and everything was good to go...for about 12 hours. I came home from the gym last night, went to turn it on, and got nothing. Ok, I lied. My top case fan spun about 1/4" but that's it. I tried other plugs and power cables but I got nothing from that either. Monitor and speakers are hooked up to the same power strip as the PSU was but those are both fine.

Any idea? I didn't get into OC'ing the new chip yet so nothing crazy went on there. I'm at a loss. Only thing I can think is that I got a bad PSU from the factory.

Hawkshot

Admirable
could be the PSU, it also could be caused by failed connections to the motherboard so make sure you check that, also a fail to boot could be a problem with the BIOS but that usually comes on more than you've explained, you may have a fault Mobo as well try it with another Mobo if you got one sitting about if not ask for a replacement on the PSU

Jaexyn

Honorable
Jun 11, 2014

I unplugged and replugged all connections before removing the "new" PSU last night to check if it was a seating problem but again, zero response. No fans spinning, power light, nothing. Can't do anything with the BIOS since I can't boot it. Reset the CMOS and battery also.

PSU is in my car waiting for me to get out of work so I can take it back to from whence I got it. Trading it in for a more powerful one, just in case. Probably a Thermaltake 850W. Depends on what they have.

Thanks for the info and quick response though!

Hawkshot

Admirable
No problem if I was to recommend a new PSU try going for a Cossair RN series 80+ Gold if you can get your hands on them, some of the best PSU ive ever used/tested, and by the sounds of it you're not silly and more than likely it could be as simple as a Burnt out PSU, get the new one try and get a 80+ Gold or 80+ Bronze at minimum some of the best people are cooler Master or Cossair either one of these brands have done me well :) if it dosent work comment on this again and ill get back to you asap

Jaexyn

Honorable
Jun 11, 2014

Well I just looked at Newegg and they have the Corsair RM1000W for $149, same price as the 850W lol, so I think I'll go with that one. Kinda silly not to. My local stores don't carry the RM's, any Coolermaster, and very few PSU's period. I have a Micro Center about an hour away, but they have the 850W priced at $169. I can put next day shipping on Newegg and still get the 1000W cheaper.

Thanks again, and hopefully I won't have to ask any more questions on the subject :p.

Hawkshot

Admirable

that's fine :) if you do have anymore questions just let me know and ill get back to you asap, good deal on the 1000W too means that you will have a good PSU for at least 5 years I would say:)