Apple And Nvidia To Get 16nm FinFET Chips From TSMC One Quarter Earlier Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyranD

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
I thought Nvidia changed there roadmap to have Erista before Parker. Which could mean Nvidia will stay one node behind. Erista(20nm), Parker(16nm).

this is about SoC where AMD doesn't have much presence. i thought Mullin was AMD answer for having tablet SoC but the only design win for Mullin that i know of is coming from HP nettop. also which foundry manufactured Mullin? is it TSMC or GF?

i think nvidia will be pretty much equal with other player in term of process nodefor now. even Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 is based on 28nm. their 810/808 are the one that will use 20nm but the two expected to launch next year so it will go head to head with nvidia erista (and it will be interesting to see since Qualcomm will use ARM vanilla core where nvidia will compete with their custom core which is the exact opposite to T3 and S4 situation) . as for apple they come with new SoC after second half of the year. so it is to be expected if their SoC will be ready for the smaller node.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

this is about SoC where AMD doesn't have much presence. i thought Mullin was AMD answer for having tablet SoC but the only design win for Mullin that i know of is coming from HP nettop. also which foundry manufactured Mullin? is it TSMC or GF?
I'm pretty sure Mullins is GF. So ya, I don't think this announcement has much to do with AMD.

hannibal

Distinguished
How many actually believes that TSMC can actually deliver these 14-16nm chip in time? Their reputation keeping the timetables has not been exactly stellar...
But maybe this time... in anyway finfet and smaller production node are a step to some long awaited progress.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

Beema and Mullins are selling extremely well, and are in over half a dozen HP laptops. Kabini is selling in several versions of their desktops. Q to Q, AMD processor shipments were up over 10%, while revenue for that group was flat, indicating the sales were from the lower end parts, not Kaveri/Richland.

AMD is using GF for Beema/Mullins, I'm pretty sure (but not certain) only TSMC for Kabini at this point.

They will be using GF for their next generation CPUs, which has licensed Samsung's technology for FinFets. Incidentally, IBM is already on 22nm FinFets, which is far better than the 20nm planar that companies are just now beginning to move to.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Old roadmap. The current one shows erista and makes no mention of a modem. But I'd hope they slap their modem in at some point. Why not, 150 is all you need and they can already do that. If caps don't get removed no point in speeding even faster to your 2GB cap (not even 1/2 a 720p movie). Erista will be the 20nm which clearly has a short life, and 6 months later I guess we'll be looking at Parker (hopefully with a modem, though everyone seems to have quit modems now that broadcom is gone too).

Status
Not open for further replies.