My graphics card isn't showing up in display manager

therealurge

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
Before you think this is a this graphics card isn't plugged in issue, I'm using my graphics card now to view my monitor. All I see in the Device Manager though is the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and Intel 4600 HD Graphics drivers. I can't install my video card drivers through AMD Catalyst because it always gets stuck on "Detecting Graphics Hardware". Any ideas?

Solution
Can you try a different PCIe slot? Also, try installing the driver directly instead of through the Catalyst (though I don't suspect this will fix anything). Do other graphics cards work in this slot? If so, you may have an issue with the GPU bios and I'd contact the vendor for an RMA.

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Can you try a different PCIe slot? Also, try installing the driver directly instead of through the Catalyst (though I don't suspect this will fix anything). Do other graphics cards work in this slot? If so, you may have an issue with the GPU bios and I'd contact the vendor for an RMA.

Solution

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Used to be if you plugged in a new video card and it did not work then either the bios settings are wrong.
Some BIOS auto detect and make the change on the fly and other times you had to make the change yourself.

Per the other posters question if other video cards work then your power supply is fine. unless this new video card you
are plugging in is really power hungry thus meaning not enough power is there to feed it. If you only have a 250-450 watt power supply then maybe that is not enough power. Check on the website where you bought your card on the specs and see how much power it pulls.

Also make sure you use a video driver cleaner program. so you only have 1 set of drivers installed and loaded for that card and nothing else.

Vitric9

Distinguished

Is this a Laptop?

therealurge

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

I notice that when I tried the first PCI-E slot, the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter changed it's location as well. So I'm thinking that the Basic Display Adapter is the video card. Also, now catalyst can see my video card and is working perfectly fine, so maybe it was just a Catalyst glitch or it's because I had my card in the 2nd PCI-E slot. Thanks for all the help though and sorry that I was really vague in my question.

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

Some motherboards have different colored pci-express slots. Just remember what the color means for your paticular pc.