Help me buy matte LED monitor please

newwave230

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
OK so I bought an IPS "ACER H6 1080p" monitor and I'm returning it because it has a GLOSSY finish and I thought it had matte. What monitor should I get?

it has to have
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- >=1920x1080p resolution (this doesnt really mater tbh)
- as cheap as possible (budget is 100 CAD)
- 21" size? is that a good size?

P.S I'm not entirely convinced with IPS monitor to be honest. The colors somewhat "fade" too when seen at 'extreme' viewing angles. IS IPS WORTH the extra 30 bucks??

I have both an expensive IPS and several TN Gaming panels that were 1/4 the price..... for accurate color work i.e photo editing, the 8 bit IPS panel is far superior ....in gaming however the 144 Hz TN kicks its tail with sharper images, blacker blacks, better low light performance, crisp edges and no ghosting.

the ideal size for any resolution is one which gives you 96 ppi or better .... at 1920 x 1080, that would be 23" (95.8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

newwave230

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

Do you have a source to that?

I personally cant see the difference between IPS and TN dude. I'm starting to think its just more money for slightly 'broader' viewing angle. 144hz monitor without a good PC is pointless anyway right? because 60 fps with 144 hz monitor and 60 fps with 60 hz monitor are the same. And I have never experienced ghosting in my life ever even with CRT monitors lol.

No offense, Im starting to think you are just trolling lol.

P.S This glossy monitor literally made me sick and want to throw up!!!

Yes, just google "96 ppi" .... for one, Windows is designed for 96 dpi because someone decided that was the point that was the optimal amount to display fonts on a screen way back when based upon keeping the edges smooth and of appropriate size......the further from that, fonts start to get "funny". On paper, < 300 dots per inch and images start to appear grainy, but on a brightly lit screen it's much lower. Depending on your age, most find rulers usable down to a 16th of an inch.....now divide that 1/16th by 6 more lines, that gets a bit harder..... now have all those lines throwing beams of light at your eyeballs and the bleed from each individual source tends to "hide" or blot out the black spaces in between.

Another way to look at it is this ..... what is "on the market" .....

9 panel sizes for 1920 x 1080, only one goes below 91.8
9 panel sized at 1600 x 1200 / 1600 x 1050 ..... smallest one is 94
5 panel sized at 1600 x 900 ..... smallest one is 91.8

At the high end 2560 x 1440 and 256 x 1600 are both above 100. It's only in the very popular 1920 x 1080 / 1200 sizes do we see any manufacturers trying to sell anything below 90 ppi.

Some people have 20/10 vision ..... normal is considered 20/20, others "go bigger",.... have a room full of people start at 15 feet away and start walking towards a big screen TV and "stop" when the screen gets blurry or they can see individual pixels.....you will not see everyone stopping at the same point.

I always like to say "No one is ever wrong, when there's a disagreement, one of the parties is just misinformed or ill informed". You can think what you want, I'm not trolling, just took the time to get "informed". Not saying that in a smarty pants way but that in trying to learn about the subject I asked around, here and elsewhere, researched and absorbed information from those before me who took the time to research and kindly point me to information on the subject.

There's also the issue of monitor quality ... you do get what you pay for, just because a high quality IPS monitor will show an improvement in image editing over a TN monitor, doesn't mean that a $150 IPS will do it better than a $150 TN.

As for ghosting, you may not be seeing it but other people do and hi speed cameras do provide the evidence.

60 Hz
CROPPED_60Hz-1024x341.jpg

120 Hz
CROPPED_120Hz-1024x341.jpg

120 Hz w/ Lightboost
CROPPED_LightBoost50-1024x341.jpg

Try this

http://testufo.com/#test=framerates

More here:

http://www.blurbusters.com/

Also, find a good site like tftcentral that does very detailed reviews. Many sites read like barely more than than cut / paste press releases

here's a popular $850 IPS monitor
dell_u2713h.jpg

here's a popular $375 144 Hz 27" monitor
asus_vg278he.jpg

Which image ya like better ?

Finally we have an 24" IPS (3 years old), we have a 23.6" 120 Hz (2 years old) and we have a 23.6" 144 Hz TN (9 months old) as well as various other screen (6 desktops, 5 laptops).... All of us here have used each of them for photo editing, all of us here have used them for gaming .... all of us here have come to the same conclusions based upon long term experience with all 3 screens.....when we edit photos, everyone wants the IPS, when we play games, last one in a chair has to settle for the IPS.

Like I said, were we are all seeing the differences is especially when playing the same game side by side and most especially in low light conditions. The edges of characters and objects against the background are sharper, the dark areas have a blacker black, no ghosting / blurring under hectic movements.

Tho..... w/o the opportunity to look at the images in neighboring rooms and play the same sequence under the same lighting condition within seconds or minutes of one another those differences would fade quickly.

Tesla_Whizz

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Agree with you 100%

Tesla_Whizz

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Well it is hard to tell. Sometimes there are obvious description such as anti glare , so that would most likely be matte. Dell ultra sharp use matte screens. It also depends on brands too. You are best off just looking in person.

Tesla_Whizz

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Normally it's down to brand. For example: HP, Apple and Samsung all use the glossy screens but it doesn't tell you in product description. So that's why I recommend that you look in person or if you do research in depth you may find the answer. However, Anti-glare screens are most likely to be matte.

newwave230

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
I did e-mail a couple companies and the customer service seemed to be not very knowledgeable (I asked for a matte screen and they gave me the link to matte color as in the monitor itself lol..)

I really don't like buying "big" things instore though first the time needed (going there, transportation) and things are generally more expensive compared to online