Build a new PC, worked for half an hour, shutdown, will not start again ?

welo78

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
Hello guys,

I just finished building my computer and I came to a giant problem. Here is the situation: The computer actually ran and I installed Win 7 x64 and all the drivers and I started playing.

After maybe a half an hour of extensive play it shut down. I pressed the power button but nothing happened, I pressed it again ... same. I unplugged the power to it and plugged it in and the LEDs came on for maybe a quarter of a second with the fans but it immediately stopped again. So I pressed the power button once more but this time nothing happened. So from this conclusion you may see everytime I unplug it and plug it back in it starts for quarter of a second and shuts down immediately, after that it wont even do that.

Things I tried: waited for it to cool down because PSU was hot by touch, unplugging the graphics card because I figured it may eat a lot of power at start and the PSU just wont do it which is 550 W but it was working ok at first start.

So can anyone help me with this problem ? Maybe its some power circuit shortage problem or some sensor just broke in the PSU for heat ?

I should also mention that there are a lot of fans in the case since it is a gaming case BUT the PSU is mounted at the very bottom with fan directing to bottom. The case has holes for a fan ventilation right in front of the fan of the PSU ... BUT its only like 5 CMs from ground (the case it self has like 3 CMs rubber stands)

maarkr

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2012
may need to pull the proc fan and check/redo paste. if you do builds, you should get one of those 5$ PSU/SATA.HD power testers.

Mkarmelk

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
maybe you could try to reput the cables of the PSU. check if the CPU_PWR fanslot is in use. maybe your MOBO is secured that when it can't detect a cpu fan it wont start. see if the GPU is pit in correct and also check if its 4pins or 8 pins.
see the RAM slots also. some MOBOs won't start without RAM.

if nothing is right you could try to ask one of your friens if you can check your pc with their PSU. if it starts you have to replace your PSU. can you tell me what PSU you have got? it could be that your 12V rail has got high voltage drops. if it have your GPU, RAM or SSD could been damaged. then it wont start also.

welo78

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
Hello, to answer this the PSU burned out, it was some shitty chinesee PSU with 500W of power, it was faulty. I bought a branded one, with 600W and there was no problem ever again. Hope this helps other users :)