WD Black Series 1TB or Seagate Hybrid Drive 1TB?

ProjectSINQ

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
So I was looking on Newegg to find an upgrade on my old desktop 5400 rpm HDD, and based on my extensive research for application loading speed(Such as Gaming and Photoshop), I figured I put these 2 are my final contestants(Based on my budget; SSD are too expensive for me at the moment).

WD Black Series 1TB
22-236-622-TS

Seagate Hybrid Drive 1TB
340548.jpg

So the question is, which one should I get?

Thank you reading and if you do answer, please explain why because that will really HELP A LOT! :D

(P.S. If you're wondering what my hardware specs are then just look at my profile, so that way, you can get a better idea of how these hard drives may affect my hardware. Also, if you have any other hard drive suggestions, feel free to share! Again, thank you for helping)

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
No doubt, the 7200rpm drives. We use HGST (Hitachi) Deskstars and WD Blacks, as well as Seagate 7200s (DM001 are the 2Tb 7200 Baracudas), and all of those outperform the Seagate Hybrids in FILE COPY's.

The Seagate Hybrids are faster than the 5900/5400s "Greens" or "IntelliPowers", but they have a very small 8Gb cache-SSD, and the rest is that slow spinner, so that initial surge is quickly replaced by the slower access times.

The one area I do enjoy the Seagate Hybrids is that, with the Green/IntelliPowers, those usually have a noticeable lag to "wake up". The SSHDs don't. They are responsive, immediately. That's a big plus.

But compared to an "always on" 7200, I have preferred that consistently high-speed access for all tasks.

(By the way, I'd consider the Seagate 2tb DM001 7200 as well. We've put out a couple of thousand of those in the last 3 years and their failure rate is nearly Zero. Of course, knock on wood, yours would probably explode in a ball of flame, attract comets plummeting to earth and all sortsa bad things!)

ProjectSINQ

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

Nice answer, Christinebcw. I guess I would consider getting the WD Black then, since I pretty much need that file speed when the PC is on. Of course, I suppose the quick-boot for the SSHD is a huge advantage, but I am more of the patient type so I can wait for the boot(WIN8 boots fast, regardless).

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I'd go with the WD Black. Generally they're rock solid and have a 5 year warranty. I'm pleased with how fast windows 8.1 is on my laptop and it's a slow 500gb 5400rpm Hitatchi HDD at the moment...been thinking of upgrading it to a 1tb 7200rpm hitatchi HDD since that seems to be the only one available. I'd like an SSD but really pricey for not much storage. In about 2 more years a 1tb SSD should be around 100. Prices have been cut in half since last year when I bought my 250gb samsung 840 for my desktop, but with the improvements under the hood in windows 8.1 compared to windows 7, I don't think an SSD is a must have if you're on a budget. If money matters (it does to me) go for the biggest capacity 7200rpm you can find with best reliability.

I'm not sold at all on the hybrid hard drives for laptops either, they're still the really slow 5400rpm version, no matter what artificial benchmarks show, I want real world 7200rpm consistency.

This HDD in my laptop is a bottleneck for sure, 5400rpm sucks, when playing a game and trying to watch a stream with a few Chrome tabs open, things can crawl to a halt when multitasking mildly.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I like the concept of the WD Duets which has one SATA connector for two physical drives. In a platform (notebooks, etc) where drive-bay limitations are paramount, cramming more into less is a treat.

One of my next projects is to do a RESTORE on a WD Duet back to another one, in a cloning function as well as an Image-File Restore to ensure clients can quickly reaccess their Duet-based computers should a failure occur. Until I have success with that, the "good concept" is still an iffy proposition.

As for belief based on warranties, I don't subscribe to that. I believe warranties are a statement from the manufacturers and their distrib channels saying, "We'll provide an exact or similar replacement during this time period", and is thus a comment about holding an inventory quantity on-hand instead of a guaranteed quality.