Checking that this Setup is Very Good for Gaming

Aaron Foat

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Hi Gang,

Really like this forum. I am getting a custom build built for me. I believe this system will play all current games at max settings without lag. I also believe this system should not need upgrading for at least 3 years.

Case: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES 750D FULL TOWER ATX CASE FITS EXTENDED ATX
CPU: INTEL CORE I5-4690K PROCESSOR (6M CACHE, UP TO 3.90 GHZ)
CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO CPU COOLER HEATSINK
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI SOCKET LGA1150 / Z97 / 4 X DDR3 / 6 X SATA 6GBS / ATX
Memory: [strike]CRUCIAL BALISTIX SPORT 4GB 1600MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC DIMM 1.35V[/strike] CRUCIAL BALISTIX TACTICAL TRACER 4GB 1866MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC DIMM 1.5V (2X4GB=8GB)
Storage: SAMSUNG 250GB 2.5" SSD 840 EVO SERIES
Storage: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB 3.5" INTERNAL HARD DRIVE 7200RPM SATA 6GB/S 64MB CACHE
Video Card: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX780 TI 3GB GDDR5
Power Supply: [strike]COOLER MASTER G700 POWER SUPPLY 700W 80 PLUS BRONZE[/strike] CORSAIR VS SERIES VS650 POWER SUPPLY 650W
Optical Drive: LITE ON DVD-RW 24X SATA BLACK
OS: MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM SP1 64-BIT ENGLISH OEM DVD

Before I confirm the order, I just wanted to check in here with you good people to see if my assumptions are correct or do i need to make some changes.

Thanks fo your answers

Solution
Hi OP,

You are good to go with this rig yet I got two valuable suggestions and they are as follows -

1) It doesn't matter how many watts you've got in your PSU. We need to know how much ampere does +12V rail supply? Provided your PSU has already got that right, it is recommended to stay with good build quality products in which SEASONIC and CORSAIR play a vital role. So, go with SEASONIC 620W which will provide you a headroom for future upgrades as well. You really don't need to bother in upgrading your power supply unit when you are with the above mentioned component.

2) Important: Enjoy the gaming! xD Do not forget our tomshardware. Stay in touch, throw us your questions and we provide you the solution.

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Looks like a pretty solid build with the exception of the power supply. I personally would swap it out for something by Seasonic or Corsair.

You should build it yourself and save money on the parts&labor! + it's fun! :)

Overall nice looking build and it will max basically everything.

Hi OP,

You are good to go with this rig yet I got two valuable suggestions and they are as follows -

1) It doesn't matter how many watts you've got in your PSU. We need to know how much ampere does +12V rail supply? Provided your PSU has already got that right, it is recommended to stay with good build quality products in which SEASONIC and CORSAIR play a vital role. So, go with SEASONIC 620W which will provide you a headroom for future upgrades as well. You really don't need to bother in upgrading your power supply unit when you are with the above mentioned component.

2) Important: Enjoy the gaming! xD Do not forget our tomshardware. Stay in touch, throw us your questions and we provide you the solution.

Solution

Aaron Foat

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Thanks for that reply. I did think about building it myself, but the shop I deal with in Thailand will build it for me for about £20 and they do the best price on parts here anyway. Getting things shipped internationally would remove any savings I may have made. I just felt it would be safer to get somebody else to build it than have me banging around.

Any reason you do not like the Cooler Master? Thanks again.

Egleu

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I agree with the psu suggestion. I personally use a Rosewill Capstone 750M.
Also with that case you can pretty much use any closed loop liquid cpu cooler on the market if you want. I would look into the corsair hydro series (h100i or h110 in particular) to keep the cpu temps down if you overclock.

Lastly Windows 8 really is better at this point, with faster boot times and better game performance.

Egleu

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
One last thought, in the US it's 50 bucks cheaper so I'm not sure on your end, but the Phanteks Enthoo Pro is a fantastic case in case you haven't considered it.

Well, let's make it very simple. There are four tiers for PSUs.

1-tier > 2-tier > 3-tier > 4-tier.

Seasonic, Corsair and Antec Brands are in 1 tier i.e., they have good build quality with nice ampere rating on +12V.

CM is not even in any tiers. I mean, it is not rated. You are going to use GTX 780 ti which is really expensive. We don't need you to break the card with poor/moderate quality power supply units. Your whole rig is sexy except the psu. Higher end computer must need 1-tier based power supply unit.

Aaron Foat

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
I have a lot on Steam already. I was just getting frustrated with the fact that my current system was struggling with graphics. Skyrim for example had to be played near the lower end of the scale. Therefore, I tried to build a system that would play anything that is out at the moment as the max.

Aaron Foat

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

Thanks. I am not sure if I will need to overclock this system. As for Windows 8.1, I use it at work and I just don't like it.