Dual monitor set-up help

Fluffshardware

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Hey, I want to start a dual monitor set up using an old vga dell monitor and my new acer dvi monitor. I'm using a radeon amd hd 7770 graphics card. It has a dvi port and an hdmi port. can i use a a regular dvi cord (which i am currently using) to connect the acer monitor then use this hdmi to vga cord: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5P81UJ2131&cm_re=hdmi_to_vga-_-9SIA5P81UJ2131-_-Product

and then plug the hdmi to the radeon and the female vga side to a normal vga cord running from the dell monitor.
By the way, I know for a fact my radeon can support multiple monitors.
thank you very much,
Fluff

Solution
HDMI to VGA is a bit funky because an HDMI port doesn't necessarily have the analog signals necessary for VGA so i wouldn't bet on it working. The safer bet is DVI-I to VGA and HDMI to DVI to the new Acer. Yes, it requires buying 2 new cables, but I've done this setup before and know it works(assuming your GPU doesn't only have a DVI-D port), but HDMI to VGA tends to come with horror stories, if you google "HDMI to VGA not working" you get 1.5M results and no promising answers in the first page, so i'd suggest sticking to tried and true territory.
HDMI to VGA is a bit funky because an HDMI port doesn't necessarily have the analog signals necessary for VGA so i wouldn't bet on it working. The safer bet is DVI-I to VGA and HDMI to DVI to the new Acer. Yes, it requires buying 2 new cables, but I've done this setup before and know it works(assuming your GPU doesn't only have a DVI-D port), but HDMI to VGA tends to come with horror stories, if you google "HDMI to VGA not working" you get 1.5M results and no promising answers in the first page, so i'd suggest sticking to tried and true territory.

Solution

Fluffshardware

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

ok, thanks. I'm gonna order this hdmi to dvi http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG1FZ7474&cm_re=hdmi_to_dvi-_-9SIA0PG1FZ7474-_-Product
and i found a vga to dvi adapter that came with my gpu so i don't have to buy another cord :D
Thanks again,
Fluff