Upgrade hardware... again....

B-man33

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
Hey guys, I would like to have a discussion about the new cool stuff coming out.

The thing of upgrading is a bit of a problem for me, reason being I spend most of this year upgrading my PC (use it mostly for gaming and video editing, I have a YouTube channel), but now the next gen of CPU's, RAM and possibly a GTX 880 card will be launching as well, will it be worth to upgrade as soon as these new goodies launch?

I upgraded the following parts:

GTS 250 - GTX 770
120 Seagate HDD OS - Samsung SSD 250 GB OS
Intel P67 motherboard - Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 motherboard
Coolermaster 450watt PSU - Antec high current gamer 80 plus bronze 520 watt PSU
4 GB 1333 mhz desktop RAM (2 X 2GB, 1 Kingmax and 1 Kingston) - 16 GB 2133 mhz hyper x beast series Kingston (2 X 8 GB) DDR3 RAM

This was the parts I still wanted to upgrade:

Intel i5 2400 Sandy Bridge - intel i7 3770k Ivy Bridge
Coolermaster K380 case (fitted with 4 120 mm fans) - Coolermaster CM690 III
Cooler Master Hyper tx3 - Cooler Master Seidon 240M (still need to do more research before I upgrade to water cooling)

I jumped to Google and start searching around for possible prices of the next gen CPU's (intel of course) and finally Tom's Hardware made a possible price list of the next gen CPU's!! Thank you Tom's Hardware for that. Here is a link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-haswell-e-preorder-prices-maxict,27525.html#xtor=EPR-8886

The i7 5820k being the cheapest of the lot, which they estimate will be $400, it might be a bit more, it might be a bit less. Great, I wanted to upgrade my CPU anyway so I can just as well wait for that....

But (here comes the big but... lol...) if I buy that CPU, I will need to buy a new motherboard, it will need to be a X99 motherboard, so let say that it will be another $300 - $400 for a good motherboard, say like a Asus ROG series. But what about RAM? You will need a brand new set of DDR4 RAM.... I would prefer 16 GB, let us say another $200... Worst case scenario you will end up spending $1000 to run the latest and greatest intel chipset. Is it worth it buying so early?

I am almost positive that Intel will bring out even better Haswell - E CPU's (codename for the next gen is Haswell - E, if I am correct?). And what happened to i5? Will we see i5 CPU's in the Haswell - E series or will there be only i7? Maybe i9 (thinking out load)? Maybe it is better to consider upgrading all these cool hardware late next year? Or even in early 2016?

Who can remember the first gen i5, you had to have a 1156 socket motherboard to run that bad boy and it was clocked at 2.8 GHZ. So what if Intel is going to do the same with these Haswell - E CPU's? And bring the more powerful stuff out much later.... What if the X99 socket is not that great... What if DDR4 RAM is good but there is still work needed for improvement... A lot of what if's to consider... I really think it is worth waiting before jumping in and buying straight away.

I am a afrikaner (South - African with a home language afrikaans which apparently sounds very German? Living in Kuwait, middle east)

This is my 2 cents, please let me know of what you guys think, please correct me where I am wrong as I am still very new to PC (use to be a console gamer).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

SU11YBEAR

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
I would wait until christmas at least to see some results and hopefully second batches of the chips and ddr4, I want to upgrade as well but the last time i priced out a full build with it i came out to like 2500 and just cant justify that, the RAM alone right now is looking like $300+ at the moment.

B-man33

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

Yeah man, I think the wait will be worth it, also if you have a 520 watt PSU (like me) and the CPU (Haswell - E CPU's will apparently use 140 watt) you will need a upgrade on the PSU as well, something like a 650 watt.

But thanks for the quick reply

SU11YBEAR

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Yep, looks like it will be awesome but i don't want to believe all the hype until I see some results. Also really need DDR4 to get better since we are in first gen of it the speed and latencies havent improved above good DDR3 for effective speeds.

B-man33

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

Yeah, I agree, I think it will be safe to upgrade next year in December or so, really exciting times if you like intel CPU's though, first time that they announce to bring out a 6 core CPU. Would really like to see if it increases your overall PC performance compared to a 4 core and by how much.

B-man33

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

I just had a gut feeling that something, somewhere will be not function as it should and need improvements, this is the exact reason why I want to wait until there is more of a variety of motherboards, RAM and new gen CPU's to choose from, I will wait till next year Christmas if I have to. Thanks for the reply.