Should i choose A) a gaming Laptop or B) Build a Gaming Desktop rig and buy an normal Laptop ??

Yourion

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Hello !!!!
I'm new to the forum so please do excuse my ignorance of antiquate.
I'll be shifting to the UK for a Masters program soon. I need advice on what should i do for my tech needs.
Firstly i Will absolutely need a laptop for study purposes.
Secondly, i consider myself some what a gaming addict:D ( i do have some control though).

I was wondering which option should be btter ?
A > A high end gaming laptop
or
B > A desktop rig for the sake of gaming and a cheap laptop that meets the requirements

I find myself leaning more to option B

anyone who can convince me otherwise ?

Solution
The gaming desktop + cheap laptop is probably the best choice. However, it really depends if you plan on being at home often or you're going to be working/gaming in coffee shops or on the go.

But definitely, the gaming desktop + cheap laptop combo is the best choice.

iBUYPOWER - Jason

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
The gaming desktop + cheap laptop is probably the best choice. However, it really depends if you plan on being at home often or you're going to be working/gaming in coffee shops or on the go.

But definitely, the gaming desktop + cheap laptop combo is the best choice.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
Depends on what your total budget is. No matter how much you spend on a laptop, for gaming it will only be good for a couple of years. Plus the higher up you go on a laptop, the faster your laptop depreciates in value, and by the time you go to sell it, it won't be worth 1/2 of what it is now. If you have a budget of say, $2500 and are indecisive between the two, I'd get a $1500 desktop and an $800 laptop and then use the laptop for VM and game streaming from your desktop.

Yourion

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Well i don't exactly have a constrictive budget, but yes i i am going to try and keep it under 1000 pounds ($1600 approx) as i do not know how hectic my study schedule will be; no point in building a rig i cant really use to the max,. and yes i do believe option B to be better as i tend to break things pretty easy and replacing a 300 pound lappy will be mouch more easier than a 1000 - 1200 pound lappy.

Thank you all for your replies and helpful advice ^_____^

g-unit1111

Titan

No problem, since I do most of my game playing on my desktop I'll never spend above $900 on one ever again.