Options to connect VGA monitor to miniDP or DVI-D port

G

I have a 19" Dell VGA monitor that I'd like to connect to a desktop using either its miniDP or DVI-D port. I am looking for the cheapest of the two alternatives to do so. If I use the miniDP port, I guess I need an active miniDP-to-VGA adapter. What about the DVI-D port? Do I need a similar active(?) DVI-D to VGA adapter, or is there some kind of cable that directly connects DVI-D to VGA? Any suggestion will help.

Thanks.

jbrown156

Reputable
May 7, 2014

they both require a adapter .. there are a few fake cables going around so be carefull..remeber to select the answer as it affects our score on this forum

There are not fake cables, they are passive so don't work. These passive cables and adapters are for converter boxes that have already converted the signal. But gpus don't convert. Vga is analog and dp and dvi-d is digital only so you need active for both. There is not a forum score, if you game the forum, you will be banned.

Mdp to vga is cheaper than dvi-d to vga. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186192

Solution