Delidding AMD X2 Deneb-C2

Adrian91

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Hey guys , i've got a question ...
I have an old AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Deneb C2 core AM2+ , it is unlocked to FX5000 quad core,and i still use it for OC and bench purporse (for fun , when i'm bored) , but i have a tiny/big problem with it :lol: , It's running so hot ,even at 2.6ghz with 1.175v on cores and 1,150v on CPU-NB ,and it's not a cooling issue (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO , i even put my other rig cooler, Noctua NH-D15 and the sucker it's still unstable with occt/prime95 after ~10 minutes)
I measured the temperature at the bottom of the cooler with an IR temperature gun , and it's relatively cool (28-33 depending of the cpu load) , so i'm thinking the IHS contact with the core it's poor.
Now , you're question , will be : how do i know , it's a temperature problem ?!!
First , i've had this cpu for a long time , bought it specifically to play with it ,benchmarks/overclock , one time i had it watercooled , i knew from the beginning it was a bit hotter than a real phenom II x4 , mainly cause of higher voltage required , and C2 stepping (125W) ,but it wasn't like this.
Plus , i have a temp alarm set in bios when it reaches 65C , so i'm damn sure it's a temp problem.
So here is my question , i want to delid the cpu (remove IHS) , cause i'm thinking the thermal paste has dried .(if ,has any thermal paste , i'm worried it's soldered to the dye)
So what do u think ,it;s soldered like all the phenom II , or being a lower binned cpu ,it has thermal paste between !!??
I don't wanna ruine it , cause it's really a fun cpu to overclock (11x multiplier , locked 2 cores and l3 cache , overclockable only by "FSB") one time managed to get a stable prime95 3.8Ghz all 4 core at 1.475V ,watercooled and 2415mhz cpu-northbirdge 1.4V (really weak NB on these)

cmi86

Distinguished
!!! haha this sounds fun. I'd say go for it, this chip sounds awesome ! Reminds me of my old Phenom II 960T that clocked to 4.1 on 6 cores @ 1.278 vcore, oops mis binned an 1100T lol.

TRENDING THREADS