Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Advice on gpu upgrade from a XFX hd 5770 for new display Asus VG248QE

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • XFX
  • Graphics
  • GPUs
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
Last response: in Displays
August 28, 2014 9:03:21 AM

Hello, I'm looking for advice on which gpu should I get to upgrade from a XFX Radeon HD 5770 1gb ddr5, I've read a lot of benchmarks and reviews of different options only to get myself very confused between the red and the green brands, I'm willing to spend around $350 to $550, I'm from Mexico and usually pc components are a little more expensive than in the U.S,.

The reason i'm looking for an upgrade it's because i recently got an Asus VG248QE 24.0"
and I would like to improve my fps capability.

I currently play TitanFall (at 35 - 50 fps), Dota2 (at 50 - 70fps ) but I also play many other games (BF4, Dishonored, Dragon Age series etc).

These are my
System Specs

-AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
-Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+
-G.Skill Ares 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
-Cooler Master 720W ATX12V
-Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower


These are some options I've been considering:

-XFX R9 280X 3GB DDR5 R9-280X-TDFD
-Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290 TRI-X OC, 4GB
-EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit
-PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 OC, 4GB GDDR5

Many thanks for your time and experience :) 

More about : advice gpu upgrade xfx 5770 display asus vg248qe

a c 304 4 Gaming
a c 300 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2014 9:08:08 AM

My choice would be R9 290 Tri X, 290 outperforms the 770 by considerable amount and will smoke any game on that display with 60+ FPS on all settings maxed out :) 
m
0
l
a c 266 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2014 9:19:31 AM

Despite differences between them, any of those cards will be a significant upgrade from what you have.
What model is the PSU? If it has a little voltage switch on it, it is probably one of their older, overrated ones and likely not good for what is on its label. In that case, the R9 290 may be more than it can safely handle, especially over an extended period of time.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 28, 2014 9:19:48 AM

MeteorsRaining said:
My choice would be R9 290 Tri X, 290 outperforms the 770 by considerable amount and will smoke any game on that display with 60+ FPS on all settings maxed out :) 


Never had any other brand than xfx before, is saphire a good brand? I saw some mixed reviews at newegg, also I've read that the power consumption is high so I'm concerned that my 720w won't be enough, the card is large but I think that my Trooper can handle it.
Also I can get that card for $540 which is near my top budget, when the EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 770 i can get with $415, is the $100 dollars worth the extra performance? what are your toughts on this

thanks for your fast response
m
0
l
August 28, 2014 9:25:19 AM

Onus said:
Despite differences between them, any of those cards will be a significant upgrade from what you have.
What model is the PSU? If it has a little voltage switch on it, it is probably one of their older, overrated ones and likely not good for what is on its label. In that case, the R9 290 may be more than it can safely handle, especially over an extended period of time.


Damn, it does have the switch on the psu, other than the specs i mention i have an hdd and a ssd:

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

do you think it won't be enough power?
m
0
l
a c 266 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2014 9:27:30 AM

If your PSU was capable of 720W, it would be enough, but considering the brand, it probably is not.
Coming from a HD5770, the GTX770 is a huge upgrade. The R9 290 may be faster, but I personally doubt the difference is worthwhile. Your new monitor is 1920x1080, for which any of these cards will do much better than what you have.
m
1
l
a c 266 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2014 9:35:00 AM

A quality 650W PSU would be sufficient. Unfortunately, companies are still somehow able to put labels on PSUs that are only loosely related to what the PSU can actually produce. Coolermaster isn't the worst, but it can be pretty bad. If you buy the less expensive video card, you may have money left to buy a much better PSU, such as any built by Seasonic (e.g. their own or XFX), a Superflower-built Rosewill Capstone, or a Delta-built Antec.
m
0
l
August 28, 2014 9:42:47 AM

Onus said:
A quality 650W PSU would be sufficient. Unfortunately, companies are still somehow able to put labels on PSUs that are only loosely related to what the PSU can actually produce. Coolermaster isn't the worst, but it can be pretty bad. If you buy the less expensive video card, you may have money left to buy a much better PSU, such as any built by Seasonic (e.g. their own or XFX), a Superflower-built Rosewill Capstone, or a Delta-built Antec.


Ok thanks for your reply,the GTX770 is looking a like the viable option saving some money for a better PSU next , I've never tought that my CM PSU could become a hindrance :/ 
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 304 4 Gaming
a c 300 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2014 9:46:29 AM

I agree with Onus. R9 290 is indeed a better GPU, but is not worth $100 more than GTX 770, considering you'll be gaming on FHD. Actually, all the GPUs you mentioned will be very comfortable on Ultra gaming for a couple of years atleast with solid FPS. All are big upgrades over the HD 5770.

EVGA SC ACX is the best 770 out there and will be a better overall decision, it'll give you room to buy a better PSU for future upgrades and also for extreme stability on current build. Any 600W+ from Seasonic S/M12II/X / Antec HCG / EVGA SuperNova G1/G2 / XFX Pro will be good.

Performance wise, 770 will give solid 55-60 FPS on all settings maxed out on latest titles. Ultra gaming for atleast 2 years.
Share
August 28, 2014 10:05:16 AM

thank you both for your solid advice :)  i picked the last solution because it resumes the post, but both of you helped me
m
0
l
a c 304 4 Gaming
a c 300 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2014 10:06:24 AM

Glad to help :) 
m
0
l