Set up slave router, but use its firewall?

I want to set up an Asus RT-N66U router on my network, but the catch is that I have to use a router/modem combination provided by my ISP since it services our digital TV via a co-ax jack.

That said, it has stupid software and is a bad router at best. What I want to do is essentially "replace" it with the Asus, so that all integral functions are taken up by the Asus, without compromising the TV service.

I thought of perhaps putting the Asus in a demilitarized zone and then disabling wireless on the Telus router (Actiontec V1000h). But something tells me this would not work.

Is there a way to do this? Any insight is helpful.

When you get the tv bundle deals they make it hard to not use their routers which is always a pain. Putting the new router in the DMZ and turning off the wireless is as close as you can get to bridge mode on the modem/router without really putting it in bridge mode. It should work fine. It would also work to not put it in DMZ mode since mostly that is solving the port mapping issue. Most times that is related to game consoles.