Need help troubleshooting

craigjones

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
I have a problem that is boggling my mind. My computer was working fine about a week ago. It started randomly shutting down. No warning. Just off. Like someone had unplugged it. Within the last few months, I have upgraded the video card, cpu, motherboard, and PSU. I have tested the psu (it's fine) and swapped it out with another (computer still randomly shut off). I have run memtests, no errors. I ran prime95 for about an hour, no problems (might be of note that after p95 finished, computer shut off). Today I went to install windows on an ssd and my computer wouldn't turn on at all. I unplugged all non-vital hardware and started with one stick of RAM. Cycled through RAM sticks and tried to power on with each one. I did notice on one try that when I popped the RAM stick in, my comp quickly turned on and off again. The windows install went smoothly. After install, I formatted my old hard drive. Right after the format finished my computer shut off again. I have no idea what to test/try anymore. Help please.

PSU: Corsair CX750M
Motherboard: MSI 970a-g43
Video: Sapphire R9 270X
RAM: 8GB Gskill DDR3-1600
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black

craigjones

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

I have reset the bios already, but it was via a jumper on the motherboard. Do you think it will make a difference pulling the battery?

plaintuts

Admirable
Unplug the power cable from the outlet..
Remove the cmos battery for 1 hour...
Press the power button at a 15 min interval to drain stored electricity on the capacitors (the computer must be unplugged from the wall)

After that, put it back together then try again.