• Sapphire R9 270x Toxic

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Gigabyte R9 270x Windforce

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Post here [http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2278573/sapphire-270x-2gb-vapor-toxic-gigabyte-270x-windforce.html]

Sapphire R9 270x 2gb VAPOR X but check prices fro R9 280 just incase you can afford one.
If you going with an i3 4150, the stock cooler is already decent since you not overclocking. if you really want another air cooler, cooler master 212 EVO

2. R9 270X can play ultra 40-50fps at 1080p for BF4.

3. they all "stable" really. They all use the same GPU chip, the cooling and the settings is the only difference.
4. Three fans cooling is overkill on a R9 270X. Don't worry about the two or three fan much.

If you really want to save a bit more money, get a R9 270 and overclock it. It is essentially an underclocked R9 270X.

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
If you going with an i3 4150, the stock cooler is already decent since you not overclocking. if you really want another air cooler, cooler master 212 EVO

Um, I meant, cooler that's supposed to be attached at the side of the case, like this:

http://www.techmania.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cmkit440.jpg

2. R9 270X can play ultra 40-50fps at 1080p for BF4.

I'm playing at 1360x768. But I want the Anti aliasing. I need the graphics high.

3. they all "stable" really. They all use the same GPU chip, the cooling and the settings is the only difference

So I don't need the gpu tweaks programs?

If you really want to save a bit more money, get a R9 270 and overclock it. It is essentially an underclocked R9 270X.

In our place, only MSI R9 270 is available, which is only $4 cheaper than Gigabyte R9 270x Windforce. If that's the only difference, I could just pick the Windforce.

Ok, the R9 270X is a better deal than the R9 270 in your situation.

You mean case fans then. The stock fans that comes with your case is the minimum you should need. I would test the case with your build first before deciding getting more case fans. The side could be intakes so air gets to the graphic card but is not necessary. You really need a front fan and a rear fan as a bare minimum.
You can go and tweak some settings and overclock the card if you want. I would still recommend you get their tool like MSI Afterburner or some other brand equivalent. They not just for tweaking but can monitor the temps and usage of your GPU as well as CPU.
The R9 270X should be fine at 768p resolution. You probably be able to turn on antialiasing for most games without too much fps drop.

Whilst most people automatically go for R9 270X Toxic, i feel like the card is simply for aesthetics who really wants the Toxic cooler but at the R9 270X level.
The Vapor-X cooler is decent enough and so is the gigabyte Windforce cooler. The difference in fps performance can be negligible really, you can overclock the Vapor-X to perform like the Toxic.

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
But, is the TOXIC better than Vapor X? Is the Toxic already OC out of the box (http://versus.com/en/sapphire-vapor-x-r9-270x-oc-vs-sapphire-toxic-r9-270x-oc) If it is already OC, can you still OC it more?

(I might buy XFX xxx/pro 750W together with the Xpredator X1 first)

R9 270X vapor X has 1050 base clock speed and for Boost clock speed:1100 MHz. 1450Mhz memory clock.

For Toxic: 1100 base clock speed and for Boost clock speed:1150 MHz. 1500mhz memory clock.

Yes you can overclock it more on both cards. The Toxic may be able to push further with the clock speed but fps increase is negligible. It will probably be an extra couple fps over the Vapor-X.

Are you planning to crossfire R9 270X?

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Well, if crossfire is possible on MSI H87 (what's the difference between H87 and H87m?).
Could you also please post here (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2279916/cool-mid-tower-case-xpredator.html) about the cases selection. Thanks.

Which MSI H97 motherboard are you comparing? Model name/number?
I don't really recommend crossfire since i prefer single card since crossfire doens't always work and most h97 aren't particularly good with crossfire. Some mid range Z97 are decent enough for a good crossfire setup such as ASUS Z97-A.

Case is subjective since its your preference.

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Msi H87-G43 Gaming Motherboard lga1150
MSI H97 GAMING 3 Motherboard
Look at the case in the first link, and look at the case in MSI's official website you'll notice the difference in box's color. Why is that?
Oh, I just found it here.
What's the difference between the three of them? Can it be fit inside Mechatron or Raidmax Agusta?

I like the red/black color of the motherboard, and good for crossfiring (future build: XFX XXX 750W. Is 650W good enough for SLI./Crossfire?)

H97 is the newer chipset. I would choose that over h87.
H97 is guaranteed to work with i3 4150.
H87 will be guaranteed to work if you have a BIOS after a certain update.

They both offer similar features. H97 has m.2 slot.

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Whoah, the H97 is $2 cheaper than H87, being sold by the same shop linked above. I thought H87 is better due to higher price.
Can one update a BIOS? how is that? We're talking about H97 Gaming 3, right?

Higher price doens't mean it's good. Having an expensive gold iPhone 5 isn't that different from a normal iPhone 5 performance wise. It's wrong to think that way.
You can only update the BIOS if you can use the CPU you installed to boot it up. H87 required an updated BIOS to allow the i3 4250 to boot up at all. If you buy a H87 now, it might have that BIOS already ,it might not. H97 will work out of the box with Haswell Refresh cpu.

Updating BIOS varies with what motherboard you have. Normally you have to have required components installed to boot up and enter the BIOS. You then get the BIOS file pre-downloaded onto a USB and plug into the USB ports. You follow the instructions to use their BIOS update tool.
Some certain ASUS motherboard has a feature called USB Flashback which allows you to update the BIOS without a cpu installed, only need power.

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I have a new question:

If I have 4GB VRAM (Sapphire R9-270X Dual-X Boost OC 4GB GDDR5 256 Bit Video Card) may I increase the Anti Alliasing without slowing down (18.5 inch AOC 1360x768, mid or high ([strike]not ultra[/strike]) settings of BF 4)?

A R9 270X is capable for running full ultra preset settings on BF4 at 1080p. I don't see a problem with your resolution at 768p and R9 270X.
4GB won't help a lot really. If you spending that much for a 4GB R9 270X, you might as well get a 3GB R9 280 which will be more comfortable at ultra 1080p.

H87 should have the updated BIOS to work with the Haswell Refresh CPU but it will depend when the retailer got their stock from the manufacturer. If it is past the release date of the latest BIOS, it probably has the latest BIOS.

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Ok ok thanks. But will the Sapphire R9 270x VaporX/ Toxic will run on MSi H97 Gaming 3 motherboard?
Also, is the XFX Power supply compatible with Haswell?
What are the equivalent of MSI H97 Gaming 3 on Asus and Gigabyte Motherboards, i'm having second thoughts due to warranty and RMA of MSI. Is the build quality of MSI H97 good?

Yes it will. Any modern gpu will run on any modern motherboard.
Not all XFX power supplies are Haswell Compatible.

I'm not sure the price of the H97 in your location but i believe at that price point, you could get a decent Z97 motherboard which is almost the same but allows you to get an overclockable cpu.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97pro4

As to your question:
Asus H97-PRO
Asus H97-PLUS
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H

The H97 is standard, not too special but decent enough to be used.

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Is this the Asus H97 Pro you're talking about? (http://dynaquestpc.com/product/asus-h87m-pro/)
Also what's the difference if the mobo's name has "M" at the middle of its title? Asus H97 Pro vs Asus H97 M Pro

No. That is the H87 Pro ASUS. There is a newer chipset series: H97.

The M stand for the motherboard form factor: micro-atx.
Micro-atx is smaller than the standard atx but has less expansion slots. however, if you are running a single graphic card, either micro atx or atx will be fine.

There isn't an ASUS H97M Pro released yet.