4K New Gaming Build

muzzar69

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Hi Guys,

Looking at getting a new desktop PC to connect to my new Sony 4K TV, wanted some advise on which parts to look for. I'm probably going to order in 2 weeks just want to do some good research first. The system will be used for 100% 4K gaming, I already have a laptop for all my other computer work. Looking at spending around 4000 AUD (australian dollars). Specs below:
If you believe this is total overkill for 4K let me know, I don't want to go spend massive for the sake of the ability, especially seeing 99% of PC games are crappy console ports anyway so the chances are 1 out of the next 10000 games is really going to bring the potential of this system to life.

CPU ] 1 x Intel CORE i7 4930K
RAM 1 x Avier Blitz 1.1 gaming dragon 2166Mhz 32GB Kit
Motherboard 1 x ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition with Assassins Creed 4
GPU 1 x ASUS (OR EVGA SUPER OC) GTX TITAN BLACK 6GB
SSD (FOR OS) 1 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD MZ-7PD256BW
HDD (storage) 1 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB,7200RPM
Sound Card 1 x ASUS Xonar Phoebus soundcard
ODD 1 x Pioneer BDR-209DBKS Black 15X Blu-Ray Writer.
Keyboard 1 x Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard 920-004996
Mouse 1 x EVGA TORQ X10
OS 1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 - Professional - 64-bit - Eng Intl - 1pk DSP OEI DVD
CPU Cooler 1 x Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Case 1 x NZXT H440 Matte Black/Green Mid Tower No PSU
Lighting1 x NZXT SLEEVE LED CABLE 100CM GREEN
PSU 1 x Antec 1300W High Current Pro 80PLUS Platinum 100% Modular PSU

I'm personally thinking the RAM, Motherboard, and PSU are probably way too over the top would I be right? If I downgraded those to 32GB 1333 RAM, Rampage IV gene or similar board, and 1000W PSU, would I be loosing too much? Definitely want to be able to play games in 4K at a solid stable frame rate, but definitely again don't want to spend a extra 1000 dollars just for the sake of it.

I will be doing my own overclocking on both the CPU & GPUs so the parts need to be easily overclock able.

Questions:

1: RAM, which manufacture to go with and the speeds are they really worth the price increase?

2: motherboard , I love the ROG series always had those, so is the BLACK really worth its massive price tag? I've never had a EVGA product, what's their motherboards like?

3: GPU I noticed EVGA have a overclocked titan black though ASUS do not, so which is the better card? Cooling wise, and also overclocking wise. I will be overclocking the card myself, so whichever has the better cooler on it will probably be the one I go for.

4: SSD, which manufacture is good, in speeds, reliability, and space per dollar?

5: HDD The higher priced gaming spec cards like Barracuda and black, or the 10000RPM drives, are they worth it? Do they really give you better performance to your games?

6: Case I had a serious space issue with my last desktop, so I really want to go big for this build. Something classy, something big like the antec 1900 or bigger but with a classy look like the Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case. Clean, sleek, understated. Something with lots of cooling availability, and a big side window to see those sexy lights.

PSU As I said I will be overclocking, and I will be adding lots of accessories to this system, and I will be utilizing SLI, so I will be needing a beefy PSU.
Also definitely need room for expansion as I will be upgrading it in the future, for instance depending on how the budget goes I may go for 2 titan blacks instead of 1 at time of build, or ill expand later.

Sorry for the massive post, just want to do some good research on some parts before I buy. I dove into my last PC purchase just off what I could research myself and ended up a little burned finding newer better products after I had already purchased, so left with a little buyers remorse. Trying to avoid that this time.

Thanks!

BustaRhymes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
I would say processor , motherboard, ram, PSU are too much and GPU not enough. The GPU you have while nice costs more than twice as much as a gtx 780 which is similar performance. I would personally wait for GTX 880 if you could. It's supposed to have GTX 780ti style perfromance with 4GB of VRAM for around $500. You could get 2 gtx 880 for same price as a Titan Black.

Also it looks like you are buying this from a boutique store. I would really consider building yourself as boutique builders usually charge you an extra $500- $800.

In all honesty you should be able to build a decent 4k gaming tower for around $2000 USD... not sure what that translates in Aussie Dollars but I doubt it will be anywhere near 4,000.

jaiden

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Others have pretty much already said it but you'll need two GPU's in crossfire to get playable rates at 4k (unless you turn down settings much lower, but then why go 4k at all). If you drop your other specs lower (less ram, cheaper proc) and pick up a second GPU, you'll have a better experience. Or increase your budget :)

Specific to your questions (the ones that aren't product specific)
1) No, RAM speeds don't really affect gameplay much. they are good for benchmarking and certain apps, but you'll not notice any difference

4) Read the Tom's article on best SSD for the money (it's updated monthly) and figure out what you can afford. Anything in the last generation or two would work for games. You won't notice much difference between them.

5) No, mechanical drives aren't worth it for gaming. They are good for bulk storage because they are cheaper than SSD's. That's their only benefit. If there is any way you can swing it, you'll be better off storing your game files on an SSD

It's worth noting that 4k gaming right now is incredibly expensive. Even the monitor itself is 600+ USD. I hate it when people say this in my threads but it's true that waiting a year or two will drop the price quite a bit. That didn't stop me from throwing money at the problem, but it's true.