Internet Speed Halved When Going Through Router

JeffreyCheng92

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
Hi everyone,

My problem is that I am paying for a 100MB downspeed connection yet I am only getting 50mb/s on basically every speed test I run. The issue is not on the ISP (Astound - local provider in california bay area) end because if I hardwire my computer to the modem (motorola sb6121), I get speeds of 100mb/s. It is when I connect my computer via ethernet to the router that is connected to the modem that my speed hovers around 50mb/s.

Things I have tried and didnt work:

Tweaked with the router settings (MTU, channels 1,6,11, QoS, firmware upgrade, priority to my device, WMM)
Latest driver on network and wifi card
Multiple ethernet cords (all gave me 100mb/s while directly connected to modem)
Multiple computers (all laptops)
Multiple routers (Linksys E2700 and TP-LinkWR841N)

The technician who came said it was because my modem has only 4 bond channels but I dont see how this is relevant because I am still getting maximum speed while directly connected to the modem.

I know that this problem has been posted in various forums elsewhere but I've gone through most of them and nothing seems to fix this issue.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! Thanks

JeffreyCheng92

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

Thanks but I must have forgotten to list the most basic solutions in my post. Power cycling both modem and router did not work.

kanewolf

Titan
This almost sounds like a duplex problem between the router and the modem. Can you check the status of the WAN port on the router? It should either be 100Mbit FULL or Gigabit. Obviously 100Mbit to the modem should be gigabit to the router to truly reach 100Mbit speeds.

JeffreyCheng92

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

Thanks for the response, Because for some reason, I could not find the status of the wan port inside the 168.101.1.1 page nor did the router come with a manual with specifications, I had to google it. The router I am currently using is the Linksys E2700 and it is "alledgedly" 1GB. There are many other customers with the same issue with their speed being throttled to ~60 max when wired.

I will include a link with some information about WAN to LAN and radio frequencies and hopefully you can get a feeling of what the router is.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31742-cisco-linksys-ea2700-retest

Your link is exactly why I did not post on your question. It clear shows the router should easily be able to run at 100m. The only number that is important is wan-lan when you are running wired. Of course this test is only valid when you are running a single pc run a single stream of data which of course does not represent real world access but it does represent what the speedtest site is doing. So the router itself should be capable of running that fast......it is almost rare to find one that can not run more than 100m lately

As suggested the real problem is likely a duplex or speed issue in the negotiated rates between the router/modem or router/pc. Unfortunately many manufacture think you don't need to know about these details it just always works....sure it does.

You have already tried all the standard recommendation I would make maybe third party firmware like dd-wrt only because it give you more ability to display things like duplex and speed.

.....This router in particular is why I completely stopped even looking at product announcements from linksys. What idiot would think forcing a consumer to configure their router via a vendor website is a good idea. What happens when it goes out of business or gets sold....like to belkin. I get too far off topic though.

You almost have to suspect it i the modem causing the issue because it is the only thing you did not change but how would it know you were connecting a router instead of pc. If channel bonding were the problem then you would have issues with your PC also. This is related to how traffic is sent over the coax cable. 4 channels is the number you need to get 100m anyway.

kanewolf

Titan
The "Users Manual" for the E2700 certainly is sub-par. Quick fix might be a different router. Most of the Asus routers have alternate firmware and most users are very happy with them. (I have two N56Us as access points).