What number of CPUs and RAM sticks are needed for a good PC repair stock?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi:
I want to get a good stock of repair parts to work as a PC repair tech. I don't intend to have a complete stock for sale, I want it for diagnostics, so that I can know as quickly as possible what part is at fault.

The most expensive part of my stock I guess would be CPUs (which devaluate in price quickly) and RAM sticks. I've heard some techs say CPUs devaluate quiclky and it'd be better not to stock them. But I disagree, I sometimes really miss having a valid CPU to more precisely determine it's the fault part, so I would like to stock "one of each", getting them second-hand when possible. My doubt is "which CPUs (AMD and Intel) should I stock to test all possible cases? Which RAM sticks?.
Any experienced tech opinions will be welcome.

Solution
the more popular AMD cpu's are the 6300 8320 and 8350? corsair is a pretty popular RAM brand and so is g.skill.
for intel the i5 4670(k) and i5 4690(k) are pretty popular and so are the i7 4670(k) and 4690(k)
I have no idea about the i3 series though.
the i7 2600k is quite a popular cpu aswell, this would be a good spare part I'd say
you should look up all the different kind of sockets there are from both AMD and intel and buy one CPU that fits each socket. you dont need high end CPU's for that, just a medium or even a low end CPU would to to check if the CPU might be the faulty part in the system

tsuneo6

Admirable
Aug 22, 2014
the more popular AMD cpu's are the 6300 8320 and 8350? corsair is a pretty popular RAM brand and so is g.skill.
for intel the i5 4670(k) and i5 4690(k) are pretty popular and so are the i7 4670(k) and 4690(k)
I have no idea about the i3 series though.
the i7 2600k is quite a popular cpu aswell, this would be a good spare part I'd say
you should look up all the different kind of sockets there are from both AMD and intel and buy one CPU that fits each socket. you dont need high end CPU's for that, just a medium or even a low end CPU would to to check if the CPU might be the faulty part in the system

Solution