Upgrade to Dedicated GPU for AMD 7850K APU?

salpet

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Hi everyone good day. Need to check something.

Currently i have a SFF PC with AMD 7850K APU with no external GPU
This was given to me as a gift some time back.

If i were to add a GPU, for instance GTX 760 OC or R9 270X, will i have any performance problem with the CPU part of the APU to handle it? Which one would be better? Any other GPU which would work well?

My other specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Motherboard AMD FM2+ GA-F2A88XM-D3H
Ram: 8GB 1866 Mhz RAM

Thanks for the time :)

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

That would totally defeat the purpose of owning a top of the line APU. The igpu is really strong in the 7850. It all depends on what you are trying to do graphically. If you need the power of a $500 discrete card than no the 7850 is not for you. If you aren't going to use the igpu you would be much better off with a 760K at $89. Then buy a good discrete card. The Piledriver core in the 760K is a tad weaker than the 7850 but it overclocks much better and more than compensates for the slightly lesser ipc. And if you need a $500 discrete card just sell everything and go Intel.

salpet

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Hi, sorry for not providing the information. I have a Bitfenix Casing Micro-ATX Phenom M case and it can take full length cards.
As for power supply, i do have a FSP Power Supply Raider 650W PSU.

Do advise, thanks :)

salpet

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Hi sir, thanks for the reply. I actually do gaming once in a while. So some of the latest games i have tried on 7850k get me low/med settings in details. Hence i thought of getting a dedicated GPU to get better details. I do have the budget for a GTX 770 or even R9 280X.

Would like to seek assistance to check, if the CPU will be able to handle those dedicated GPU's without problem? Also if i use the IGPU would be future proof for the next 2-3 years with low/mid settings on games? Thanks :)

A dedicated GPU could work well. You could get an R7 250 for dual graphics, but you'll probably get better performance out of a 280x or 770. There shouldn't be too big of a bottleneck, and you'll be able to upgrade the motherboard and or CPU in the future and keep the 280x/770.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, that case can handle those cards. Your PSU is sufficient, and the Kaveri will not be a bottleneck with them. The end result will be MUCH better gaming than with the on-die GPU. But you will produce more heat than before. So be sure the case is well ventilated and cable maintenance is done right to maintain air flow.