R9 280X 3GB vs. GTX 760 4GB

joabme

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys,

So after my previous thread I managed to narrow it down to these two graphic cards. Now my question is; which of these two will suit me the best? The R9 280X 3GB has the same perfomance as a GTX 770 but it's cheaper than a GTX 760 4GB and it has 3GB VRAM which means I can use modded content in my games without any noticeable performance hits. On the other hand I hear Nvidia has excellent drivers and it doesn't have the same issue with overheating. I'm at a loss, hopefully you guys will be able to help me out here. :)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67Ghz
RAM: 6,00 GB DDR3
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
PSU: Corsair TX750W
HDD: 1.36TB
Mainboard: ASUS P6T SE
Case: Antec P193

Old thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2281785/upgrading-graphics-card-desktop-computer.html

G

Going with the GTX 760 will give a little less performance than the 280x, but the 760 runs quiet, cool, and the Nvidia drivers have been great for me. For the best bang for the buck though, the 280x will be a better deal. It really comes down to personal choice. If you use the 280x, just make sure you get a good cooler on it. MSI and Asus have good coolers.

joabme

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
It's a tough choice, I don't normally play very graphic intensive games but if I get a new graphics card I'm obviously going to give some of them a go. I'm thinking the R9 280X is a safer bet for the future but I don't want to deal with a really noisy computer, I've been suffering long enough with my current setup. Would you say the 280X is noisier and more prone to overheating than my current HD4890?

joabme

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I'm pretty much decided now on the Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB OC WindForce alt. Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB OC Rev. 2) but I just want to confirm before ordering that it will fit nicely with my motherboard. Can anyone help me out with that? All I know is that the PSU is fine.

joabme

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I hope it's okay that I bump this up because I really need an answer on the previous post before I place an order. :)

G

Well the motherboard would be fine for the 280x and you could even Crossfire it if you needed down the road because of the two 16 band with slots. As for noise, I think that buying a card from Asus, MSI, or any other reliable brand with a quality cooler will keep your GPU cool and quiet. I recommend reading some reviews such as on Newegg.com or Amazon to see what brands are the best. Happy GPU shopping!