My FX 9370, the facts

donuts59

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
To start off I am not trying to turn this into a AMD vs INTEL thing, intel wins in the end because lets face it, they have the overall better cpu.
I'm only making this as a review of my fx 9370 experience with the AMD 9 series chips that everyone is saying not to get.
I got mine after the price drop so don't tell me i bought it for $800, its stable at 5ghz, and it never passes 55c. You can find the fx 9370 beating a lot of intel cpu's on benchmarks. Now im not talking every test out there and then some super nerd comes around and stays up all night doing research to prove me wrong. You should get a liquid cooling setup if you want a 9 series chip, a decent one.
All you Intel fanboys out there that come around a like to hate everything amd has to offer, but have you actually seen the fx 8350? Yeah its not as a lot of i7's but for the price of a 8350 it performs pretty damn well. If i had the money i would choose intel, but for your buck you get a pretty damn nice bang with AMD. I had a intel i7 3820 before the 9370 and i am glad i switched. I spent very little on my setup, much less the intel setups and i beat many intel fanboys as far as fps goes.
Anytime i see anyone asking for advice for a 9 series chip, there is always at least 1 person that says "return it and get a 8350 and overclock it"
you cant get a higher clock speed, less fps (minimal), worse benchmark scores.
But just as a rule of thumb there is no set rule cpu's, you have to decide based on your needs or personal goals (i play fps games where i need a high oc because it affects game speed, base clock speed is affected in this game i play).

So ask yourself, what exactly do i need, what would i like to achieve, what kind of numbers do i want to see, and how much am i willing to pay for it.

But you spend extra money on the overclocking equipment that you wouldn't need with the i7s or even the i5s which perform faster as well.

If you really took FPS games seriously you'd run them on low settings because you wouldn't let any graphics BS get in your way.

And Ghz don't really mean anything in the "performance game."

The 8 cores will help in benchmarks because benchmarks will make use of the 8 cores, most applications won't.

the 9000 series also requires more power, so you need to spend more money on the power supply anyways.

You might be spending less on the CPU, but you're likely spending more on the motherboard and power supply compared to Intel anyways.

But if your systems primary function is video rendering/ect, than a fx-8000 series would be the better buy... kind of.

You sound extremely bitter.

"To start off I am not trying to turn this into a AMD vs INTEL thing, intel wins in the end because lets face it, they have the overall better cpu. "

That is exactly what this post is.

IMO you're just trying to justify the purchase to yourself, publicly, but that won't earn you any kind of accolade here. I'd love to see your comparisons to "intel fanboys" and whatever other BS you spewed here. Going from an i7 3820 to any FX chip is essentially a straight downgrade.

Edit: Not to mention that you titled it "My FX 9370, the facts", when there is a complete lack of them. All speculation and personal opinions.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the same.

OP, you say that this post isn't a rant, but that's exactly what it is. I sincerely hope this post doesn't turn into another Intel vs AMD rage-fest.

gear999

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
So, you switched from a i7 3820 to a FX 9370? And you're glad about it? As others said, that's essentially a downgrade. Let me put it like this (it's kind of my personal opinion but I'm sure many others on this forum would agree)

I currently have an i5 4460 which I think is great, but, if someone generous gave me an i7 3820 and a nice mobo to go along with it, I'd be drooling all over the the 3820 (not literally)

If that generous person gave me a FX 9370 and a mobo to go along with it, I wouldn't be as excited, and I'd mostly be drooling over the mobo (once again, not literally) as it would probably be something like a Sabertooth TUF or Rampage V Formula.

Montblanchill

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
I do not think many people actually argue that the 8 & 9 series cores are not good chips.

The whole point of the 8 series at the moment is that you get very near or the same gaming performance of an i5, depending on the age of the game, and quite close to i7 performance in some synthetics - all of this for a fraction of the price. This point does start to flag somewhat when the 9 series are brought in, considering the price and lack of stock cooler, when compared to the Intel products.

All of this said, however, you are on a hardware forum. This is not a place where casual users regularly hang out, apart from asking some questions, so you're more than likely going to find people here who are in search of the best performance. These users want to see the best fps, quickest CPU out there, bleeding edge technology. Unfortunately AMD are not at the forefront at the moment, so they're somewhat out of favor.

Of course, AMD being the underdogs at the moment do tend to warrant quite a few posts such as your own, justifying your purchase of their product, to prove that they are still viable. Yes they are still viable, and at certain price points they offer more than Intel depending on their use. Bottom line is, if you're happy with your build then that is great. I struggle to agree with some of the finer points of your post, but get the general gist that AMD can make users happy despite them not having the best performance in class at the moment.

VenBaja

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to replace one component for a better one.

Also, facts usually come in the form of data, not unsubstantiated subjective words and phrases.

G

What is the point of this thread?
Flame baiting much?

The CPU section has more than enough AMD vs Intel threads going on. It's really quite tedious.