What?!: Intels vs AMD- Old Debate

thegamerguy1

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
So I was cruising on Amazon and Newegg, and as it seems, to my novice understanding that some Intel cores are considered better than some AMD processors, but from what I found, the AMD are cheaper and give you MORE... is that right?

Heres an example:
Intel: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-4430-Quad-Core-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00CO8T9VC/

AMD: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Processor-AD760KWOHLBOX-Richland/dp/B00D7BYMB2/

These two look good, but why is the AMD offering more for a smaller price when peopl say that Intel is naturally better?

I am kinda new into this, but...

Thanks

Solution
Its not about the number of cores, but rather about how much resources each core get, how cool the CPU runs, energy efficieny and OCability which increases performance.

i5 has 4 modules with a core each, compared to 2 modules with 2 cores each in Athlon/ FX 4, where each 2 cores of a single module get the same resources, and thereby the performance is not really like quad core.

Even the 2 module-2 core Pentium G defeats the athlon in almost every benchmark when both are OCed. AMD tend to increase cores while keeping the number of modules lower to increase cost efficieny (not performance), whereas Intel use 1 core per module way to increase performance (but are comparatively costlier). You can get a FX 8 series CPU with 8 logical cores...

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Since AMD's Bulldozer and descendant architectures have come out, Intel has been relentlessly proceeding along their "Tick-Tock" schedule of architecture overhauls and die shrinks. Since Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge (a Tick and a Tock ago), Intel processors have pretty much completely eliminated any advantage that AMD had in the high-end desktop processor market. AMD's shifted their focus to HSA and APUs, which, while interesting for the future, don't really help much right now.

That said, AMD processors aren't necessarily garbage. You just have to accept that you are getting your money's worth, and not a whole lot more. If you have the need for hyperthreading but not much else, you could probably make do with an 8320/8350, but in general, and especially since Haswell has hit, for gaming, Intel far outshines.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
You really can't compare the two.
The 760k is more like the i3, both have 4 threads and the i3 is a slightly better performer with lower power consumption. However, the i3 costs more.

AMD has lower performance per thread, but tries to compensate with more cores, which puts the i5 at roughly the same territory with AMD's best effort FX-8xxx performance-wise, but again in terms of power consumption Intel is on the lead.

It all depends on what you're going to use your computer for and what other parts you're planning to have, but for mid-high end you'll usually be better off with Intel.

Its not about the number of cores, but rather about how much resources each core get, how cool the CPU runs, energy efficieny and OCability which increases performance.

i5 has 4 modules with a core each, compared to 2 modules with 2 cores each in Athlon/ FX 4, where each 2 cores of a single module get the same resources, and thereby the performance is not really like quad core.

Even the 2 module-2 core Pentium G defeats the athlon in almost every benchmark when both are OCed. AMD tend to increase cores while keeping the number of modules lower to increase cost efficieny (not performance), whereas Intel use 1 core per module way to increase performance (but are comparatively costlier). You can get a FX 8 series CPU with 8 logical cores within 4 modules, which can compete with i5.

Another imp aspect is single core performance, on which most games today rely. Intel has better single core performance thanks to more FPU and resources given to each core, than AMD. Intel are also more energy efficient and run cooler than AMD. A 3.2GHz i3 will easily defeat a FX 6300 on stock speeds.

Last but not the least is OCability, Intel 'K' version CPUs can OC, while almost all athlons, FX and phenoms can OC. AMD FX 8 can match i5's single core performance with some OC, but then again it'd need a good MoBo and Cooler, and add to that the lesser energy efficieny, the cheaper tag of FX/ Athlon is usually broke even.

Athlon usually compares to Pentium w/OC and i3 w/o OC.
FX 6 compares to i3.
FX 8 compares to i5.

Hope this helps :)

Solution

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
ELI5 version>
Let's put it this way:
Imagine you are a Slavemaster and you there is some work that needs to be done.
You have a two slaves - Igor and Andy... You also have whip and a drum, because whips and drummers are cool.

The amount of work done is heavily influenced by the frequency you beat your drum /aka - the frequency or tact the poor fellows must work by/ and their own skill /aka - the amount of instructions they can do per one beat - IPC/. Slave Igor can do about 5 things in a beat while slave Andy only 3. Also their different upbringing /aka the architecture/ helps Igor to rely on himself /single-thread/ and helps Andy to work in team, because that is what he preffers /multi-thread/.
Thus you need to whip slave Andy faster, so he can do the same amount of work as Igor.

This is why Igor has the single task /single-thread/ advantage over Andy.

NOW... let's think...

Now, you got the bright idea to tie two Andys together /aka - the philosophy of an AMD module/, so the work goes faster.
You can imagine what happened - even two Andys can not beat a single Igor if there is not heavy work that can be split evenly between them /aka - well threaded multi-threaded applications/. When there was heavy work involved two tied-together slaves were better than one.

But now, the poor Igor was be left in the dust.
But you, as a great Slavemaster, noticed that Igor has two arms. You ordered him to take two things at the same time if his second arm is idle /aka - Intel Hyper-Threading/. Igor has now better work results as Andy, because there is only a tiny speck of hard work that really needs two people. What is mostly done can be done either by one person /single-thread/ or needs a little help from the other /light multi-thread/.

And don't forget, Mr. Slavemaster: the faster and harder your slave work, the more food they require and the more they sweat - so unless you want them to collapse, you need to keep them cool and well fed :D