Upgrade of a 2009 PC system for gaming

Clovis48

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Hi all

I'd like to upgrade a relatively old PC platform for gaming. I'd rather not having to buy a complete new config so I was wondering if I could upgrade it piece by piece. My problem is that I do not know which part I should upgrade first for the most cost-effective option. I would also not be aware of any compatibility issues. I looked a bit on Internet on what is available but since it is the jungle out here in terms of what CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboards,...I was wondering if someone coulp help me with it.

CONFIG:
Motherboard: P7P55D
CPU: Intel i5 750
GPU: ATI Radeon 5870
Memory: 2*2Go DDR3 667 Kingston
No SSD
Harddrive 1.5To 7200RPM
Power supply: 650W Corsair
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932

Thanks

Clovis

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
Definitely GPU. CPU is good enough for games. Its a 4 Core 2.6GHz CPU and should last you until you upgrade again, and the CPU will be the one you want upgraded. Memory is also very important. 4GB will get you through a good amount of games, but some more demanding games will require more. SSD is not a must, so dont worry about that for now. 1.5T is more than enough. PSU would not be a problem. 650W could get you up to a 280X. This is your upgrade list in order from most important:
1. GPU
2. CPU
3. Memory
4. SSD/Storage(Not needed until you feel like it is)
Also my suggestion would be getting memory either with your GPU upgrade or CPU upgrade. Your better off with getting it with the GPU upgrade because a lot of the new(er) games like BF4, Metro Last Light, Crysis, and Watch_Dogs need 8GB memory.

tools11

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Its completely up to you. Your processor and mobo seem to be pretty up to speed. GPU is probably the most out of date. Also the GPU depends on the monitor(s) you are using. but for starters and a cheap upgrade to spead up your system would be to invest in an SSD of your choice. I dont know what kind of OS you are running but when and if you buy an SSD i would install your OS on that. It is night and day compared to HDD. Another thing is i have no idea how many Gs of RAM you have but i would say get atleast 8 or more.

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013

Its a very confusing process, putting a old OS on a new SSD. I wouldnt recomend it. A SSD can be useful for game load times, but you have other priorities. For now 7200RPM is pretty fast.