Quite confused about upgrading my computer's memory

coolvaibh2012

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hello friends,

My system has Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo (rev. 2.0) motherboard. I had installed it just 6 months back. CPU is Core2Duo E7500, RAM is 4GB DDR3 (T-RAM brand). I am sure that this is just a local brand RAM but its working quite flawlessly since 2 and half years (since I had an MSI G41M-P26 mobo earlier). Also I have a 500GB and another 1TB hard-drives.

Now my query is that when I checked Gigabyte mobo product page it says for my mobo that-

1. 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory
2. Support for DDR3 1333(O.C.)/1066/800 MHz memory modules

And hence I checked my RAM info through a program, it says my RAM is running at just 533.3 MHz (7-7-7-20)!!!! So, is it the max speed of my current RAM or something is being kept for the reserve by my system? Apart from this the product page says to use either 800/1066 or 1333 MHz RAMs so how my RAM (at 533.3 MHz) is working? Is it hampering and destroying my PC components gradually?

Anyways, I just want to upgrade my system a bit by adding one more hard disk of 4TB capacity. So please suggest me the most suitable DDR3 RAM to keep my system running flawlessly with the existing and additional hard-drive. And what does Gigabyte mean by stating 'O.C.' for 1333 MHz RAM? I know overclocking but does it mean to overclock the RAM manually at my end or are such factory OCd RAMs already available for sale?

I want to install 2 modules of 4GB DDR3 RAM each, for maximum possible speed-boost in dual-channel architecture mode, for my system. So, please suggest me the best possible RAMs satisfying my requirements. Please note that I am from India which lags far behind the western countries in the terms of hardware and technical-products availability, let alone their launch in Indian market!!!! So suggest me accordingly.

Thanking you all expert people in anticipation of great help and co-operation.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Currently your FSB is probably at 1066 so that's the max freq of DRAM you can run, if you OC the FSB to 1333 (which also OCs the CPU and the rest of the rig) then you can run 1333 sticks at 1333

coolvaibh2012

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

So how and where is the setting for OCing my CPU and mobo. I know its done from the BIOS and my mobo supports it too. But I want to know the multiplier value for OCing my CPU as well as my mobo to 1333 after I buy 1333 DDR3 RAM. I know I could get this info through various threads on this great forum but I highly doubt the same query for the same hardware and configuration as that of mine. So, I would greatly appreciate your kind help.

Thanks for the quick help though.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
FSB (Front side Bus) and the voltage for it (which will need to be raised is normally the NB (northBridge) voltgae...might want to google up your mobo for an OC guide that can help you through it or read up on before your get ready

I was trying to find that thread where we helped that guy with this chipset with this ? a few week ago and with this chipset the ddr3 was fresh and new and can be picky with these boards also seeing there ddr2 boards with ddr3 support [combo boards ]

I do think you[tradesman] were in on it

this was the thing on that deal if I remember as I found at corsair-- ''I am sorry but none of these modules will work with that MB, I am sorry to say.
The MB uses the G41 Chipset and while it states it can use up to 8 Gig of memory the modules have to made with 128M X 8 Memory IC's and most of our production has moved to 512M X 8 Memory IC's which are not compatible with that MB.''

now the last guy got his from g skill that was on the boards list but still did not get it to work , now was it due to a change in the IC's over time that now prevents the use of the memory used in it as bought today???

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
There have been a few where they were using Kingston and the higher density newer sticks (the Fury's come to mind) and they have a couple other models where there's nothing to indicate the incompatibility (on some where they changed chips, they even kept the same model #s, even those are now completely different animals, and may well be showing as compatible in QVLs based on the previous type of Memory chips used).. Doesn't really seem to matter to Kingston any. I try and refer people to talk directly to the Kingston rep here