Building my first PC - what do you guys think? (Gaming/Music Production)

WimboJallis121

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
Hey everyone,
Going to be building my first custom PC soon. I'm still pretty new to this so I'm still learning, just wanted to make sure that everything's okay and that I've not missed anything. I would appreciate ANY advice from you, with everything from components/hardware to assembling it, as well as anything else. It will be heavily used for gaming, but mainly for recording/editing music (mainly in ProTools, FL Studio 9 Pro and Reaper) as I produce my own music.

So here it is.

CPU Intel i7 4790K (Devils Canyon)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X
RAM Corsair Vengance 16GB DDR3
Graphics Card Asus GeForce GTX 770
PSU Corsair HX750
HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB
SSD Intel 530 Series 120GB
Case Corsair 200R Carbide

and incase you were interested...

Mouse Gigabyte M698x
Keyboard Gigabyte Force K7

When I purchase everything I will get all get all the necessary cables, as well as a disk drive. At the moment I've got this knocked down to about £936; I get free delivery on anything ordered from Scan.co.uk and have a friend that works for Intel, who can get me some pretty sweet deals ;)
Let me know what you guys think of it, and if you have any suggestions. As i also said I'd appreciate any help about putting together as well.

Hope to speak to some more producers out there!
Thanks in advance :)

PS this is my first thread, so please be nice :3

Welcome to Tom's!

Looks like a solid build to me. For both music production and gaming. Can tell you've done some homework on this build!

The only thing missing is an aftermarket cpu cooler. I'd recommend getting one. For minor overclocks look to the Hyper 212 evo, or for more aggressive overclocks the NH-D14. Even if you don't plan on overclocking I'd still put one in, at least the hyper 212 evo. Somewhere down the road you may decide to overclock, and putting in an aftermarket cooler after the system is built can be a bit of a pain.

WimboJallis121

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014

Cheers mate I'll look into it. do you have any good links?

The power supply might be worth reconsidering if you want to cut costs there. 750W is overkill for a single gtx 770. And it's borderline not enough for two (should you choose to add another in the future).

Really you only need a solid 650W. Like I said, this is only if you want to bring the budget down a little. I personally have a GTX770 in my system, and I run with 750W just like you are looking at. Most would say it's too much, and they'd be right, but I like a LOT of headroom.

So, bottom line, if you want to shave a bit off the total price, you could get this one

XFX TS 650W £63.18 Inc VAT
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-xfx-p1-650s-nlb9-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx
Made by Seasonic, one of the best OEM makers in the industry.
Note: not modular

So yeah, something to think about. That HX750 you are looking at is a great quality PSU.

WimboJallis121

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks a lot man that really helps. I was actually just speaking to a friend about it and he said the same thing :) That's really helpful though, it's nice to know someones speaking from experience with the parts as well, it makes such a big difference :)

WimboJallis121

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014

What do you think of this?
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-corsair-hx-hybrid-modular-80plus-gold-1x140mm-atx-psu