Smoke started pouring out of the speakers vent.

Darren H

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Ive had my laptop for about 2yrs now, with problems popping up all over the place, but nothing that has really put me on edge like this.

I was sitting playing rimworld... when smoke started shooting out of the right speaker vent. The volume did quit a few moments prior to this and i was in the process of figuring out what caused that when i saw the smoke. In a state of mild panic, i shut the laptop down, which did stop the smoke, so i guess im lucky i was fast enough to prevent a full blown fire.

Ive since dismantled the laptop, pulled the speakers out both sides, and rebuilt it without them. On examining the speakers, the right one does seem to be melted with a copper wire showing in the inside, the left one seems to be very slightly warped, but that could be normal, as it wasnt smoking.

Guess im wondering if this is a common thing, if it has happened to others, and if its safe to continue using the laptop without the speakers plugged in (incase something else caused them to melt). I can get sound from headphones so its not a complete loss, just slightly annoying.

Wow. Sounds like you have a lemon in the laptop line.

Does it feel hot to the touch when you're gaming? If so, consider installing a monitoring package like Open HardWare Monitor or Speccy and keep an eye on your temps, voltages and wattage.

Darren H

Reputable
May 27, 2014
It can get quite hot during hi performance gaming, but nothing that has ever caused problems in the past. I can feel the keyboard on the left hand side getting warm, which if anything is a good thing on a cold day. Rimworld itself is a 2D game, so i cant imagine it would have heated up at all, though truth be told, i dont remember how hot it was when the smoke came out, i kinda just panicked.

Ive been reading other forums and people say that the speakers cant melt, that theres nothing on them that really heats up for them to melt, but theres nothing next to them in my laptop that couldve spread the heat. Basicly right at the front, and the melted one is next to only the dvd drive, which wasnt running.