How to become a software engineering/development/creation?

Ortiz94x

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Hello,

I am 19 planning to go to college to become a software engineering/development/creation. From my understanding there are different types and such.

Okay so I need help... I plan to go to Monroe Community College for two years, then to Rochester Institute of Technology because it is a great school and I need to go to MCC first because I didn't get good grades in high school.

So I plan to go for 4-6 years whatever is necessary to get paid $100,000 a year plus in a software engineering field.

But when applying for MCC I don't know what the hell software engineering falls under...

Computer science? Computer info systems? Computer engineering? There's a million names!

So... If someone could please provide me with the necessary information, classes, steps, and what they make in software engineering that would be greatly appreciated...

I need to know the academic name... etc so I can get through the applying process lol... I'm going to MCC tomorrow to sign for financial aid and apply and whatever else paper work I need but I believe we don't register for classes until November this year...

So any one who is a software engineer whatever steps I need to take PLEASE share!

Thank you in advanced =)

(If it helps I'd like to learn to write codes for things such as operating systems to make an OS from scratch, build an OS, build a game system such as Frostbite Engine etc...)

Solution
Since you are going to MCC tomorrow, you should also meet with an adviser in Computer Science department to get their guidance on this. Usually, you take your basic prerequisite courses at a community college and then take your degree required courses at the college or university you plan to transfer to.

You should also make sure that the classes you take at MCC will transfer for academic credit and meet RIT prerequisite course requirements.

Ask both school these questions, directly, for the best advice.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Since you are going to MCC tomorrow, you should also meet with an adviser in Computer Science department to get their guidance on this. Usually, you take your basic prerequisite courses at a community college and then take your degree required courses at the college or university you plan to transfer to.

You should also make sure that the classes you take at MCC will transfer for academic credit and meet RIT prerequisite course requirements.

Ask both school these questions, directly, for the best advice.

Good luck!

Solution
This would be better answered by an advisor of the college.

College is not standardized like high school is, so one universitys degree in X can be very different and even be classified under a different college then the same degree at a different university.

When starting out you should really take some programming classes to get your feet wet in programming. C/C++ is good for OS and hardware level, Visual Basic.NET for more applicaiton bassed and front end programs. Then you can decide from there if that is what you want to do, programming seems to be one of those things that people either love or have zero interest in doing as a career, with almost zero middle ground.

Also, as suggsted you want to make sure all of your credits transfer from the community college to RIT. I have seen many many students have to take an extra semester or 2 of classes because the university decided not to accept some of the class credits from the community college.

- a person who wishes to write a OS will need a understanding of electronics and how circuits are designed as well as how to code in a language that will allow you to directly control hardware. (Computer science engr or electrical engr programs) from my exp, the electrical engr programs lacked the require software design elements and coding and the computer science hardware requirements were too wimpy on design of hardware. Both programs were weak on coding to the point I would recommend that you do extra projects on your own.

- the computer info systems degrees were aimed at business people wanting to run infrastructure for a business. no, hardware design, no formal low level software design. Mostly apps and SQL training.

- to design a graphics engine you need hardware, software and lots for math, lots and lots of math.

there are also computer science engr technology programs, they tend to be more practical and skip the theory and just focus on the "now". It is ok for the short term but dang, in the long run knowing the theory makes your ongoing professional learning a lot easier down the road.

sorry if this is not much help, I am kind of out of date with current university programs.

annavanevska1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Hi @Ortiz94x,
If you really want to be a software engineer, one day you will become that. Your hardwork and the path you choose for that only matters. I have one suggestion that if you want to learn or want any suggestions there is a website for that. You can go through this link http://www.onlineschool.com/ . I think it is very helpful for you