HDMI Help Needed- Splitters

Matt2298

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I have a graphics card with only 1 HDMI slot, however i want to connect my pc to my tv and monitor and found something called a splitter. I was just wondering if it would work like that so my tv would be extra monitor space so to speak and also if you could recommend any good ones?

Solution
What Getochckn is saying is that each port on your GPU can only transmit a single signal, so is you use a splitter, both monitors will receive the same signal from the GPU as you will only be usign a single port on the GPU, hence you will end up with mirrored or cloned displays. Both will look the same, so each will display your mouse, icons etc the exact same, like when you go to an electronics store and all the tvs play the same movie at the same time.
To make it so you can drag stuff between monitors, you need to use two different ports on your GPU. To do this, if both displays only take HDMI you will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor. I have linked two different types below...
A splitter is only going to clone your display, not allow you "more space".

If you want to use another device, get a cheap converter cable. If your video card has displayport or DVI, you can get an DVI or displayport adapter cable cheap.

Or hookup your monitor on DVI if it has it, and your TV HDMI.

Then, as I said, a splitter won't work. It will clone whatever is on one screen, on both. You want to extednd your display, and you need an adapter as I explained.

byza

Honorable
What Getochckn is saying is that each port on your GPU can only transmit a single signal, so is you use a splitter, both monitors will receive the same signal from the GPU as you will only be usign a single port on the GPU, hence you will end up with mirrored or cloned displays. Both will look the same, so each will display your mouse, icons etc the exact same, like when you go to an electronics store and all the tvs play the same movie at the same time.
To make it so you can drag stuff between monitors, you need to use two different ports on your GPU. To do this, if both displays only take HDMI you will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor. I have linked two different types below.
http://www.amazon.com/Importer520-Plated-Female-DVI-D-Adapter/dp/B0035B4LJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409704771&sr=1-1&keywords=adapter+dvi+to+hdmi
http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B004S4R5CK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409704771&sr=1-2&keywords=adapter+dvi+to+hdmi

Solution