Help me choose baby!

RunningRiot4Fun

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Just finished my first build. I built this for my grandfather. I am trying to clean it up a bit and would love to see what cosmetic changes you would recommend. I would like to get sleeved cables for it, and I want to get the pre-built ones off of amazon or new egg. Would any brand fit? I am also thinking of throwing another 16gb of ram in there and putting on the Dominator Platinum upgrade lightbar. We are also wondering what fans you guys think would look best? I think the Corsair SP120 silent editions with the white rings would look nice and pick up the color of the hue! We are also talking about painting the disk drive because it sticks out like a sore thumb.

So as it sits right now.

- i7-4790k
- Z97-Gryphon Mobo
- Corsair H100i
- 16 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum...Want to move up to 32gb with lightbars
- Evga 780 6gb GPU with backplate.. would have went with a TI, but the 6gb version had way better reviews. I will be buying the brand new 800 series card when it is released. Maybe SLI if we don't have to worry about heat.
- 1TB Samsung 840 Evo.. Will be bumping this to the 1TB 850pro when it is released this week. Love the color even though you cannot see it.
- EVGA 750 G2 PSU. Love this PSU. Would love to find some nice sleeved cables for it. Any recommendations? I am thinking black or dark gun metal gray.
-NZXT Hue.. Because it is sexy..adhesive sucks though, will be going back through the case with double sided tape.

** Sorry for the dust in the photos. I didnt realize that it was dusty until I loaded the pics up.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! thanks again

nq3i2f.jpg

140da3k.jpg

20ky4oz.jpg

qo63oo.jpg

Watch your language please..

If you mean for the SP120s quiet edition to be on the h100i, forget it. They do not move nearly enough air. You could get the sp120 performance editions, but you will still lose performance over the stock fans.

RunningRiot4Fun

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
He is 75, in poor health, and was suckered into buying a mac last year that cost almost 3k. He hated the mac, because of the software (didnt know how to use it or find anything) and the glare on the glass screen was horrible. He told me to build him a pc, and this is what I came up with. Wanted something fast, yet reliable. I would have went with a 780ti but was worried about heat and noise after reading the comments on newegg and amazon. Decided to settle for the 780 6gb until the new 800 series comes out. Then I will buy him one of those cards to replace it.

RunningRiot4Fun

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Thanks, I wasn't sure what would work well with it. Do you have any suggestions? I think the stock fans look nice, and I hate the look of Noctuas. My grandfather loves planes, so the theme for this pc was the SR71 Blackbird. Matches his wallpaper nicely lol.

TomSkini

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
That's awesome man (obviously not his poor health sorry to hear about that) I don't know many 75 year old's with a PC let alone a beast gaming PC.

RunningRiot4Fun

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Solitaire and real flight probably once a month for 15 minutes or so. I didnt care about resolution. I went with the 780 because it had the best reviews out of any 780 card. I would have bought a titan black but did not like the look of the stock cooler. I am asking for cosmetic changes. The computer runs great and is more than enough for his needs. Just want it to look as awesome as possible without having to mess with a custom water loop. Too much work.

RunningRiot4Fun

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014

Thanks a lot man. Yeah, he isn't doing to well. Worked hard his entire life at Sandia Labs as a nuclear physicist. Was always cheap and put most of his money away to take care of his family. He had a sever heart attack, is on oxygen, and can't fly airplanes anymore. He woke up one morning and said **** IT and started to do whatever he wanted lol. The computer was one of the things on his list. Even though he doesn't use it much, it makes me happy to see how happy he gets when he looks at it... and he always asks me "Is it fast", and I reply "hell ya!".

...language again

RunningRiot4Fun

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
It's sitting in a box in the garage at the moment. The cleaning lady offered him him 1,000 for it and he said yes. I found out about it and put my foot down and told him that he was getting screwed because it was the top of the line Mac at the store, plus the airport. I believe it has around 4tb of storage an i7 and I forgot how much ram. He would have probably given it to her for free if i wasn't there to say no.

Anyways, this has become kind of a personal quest for me because I have never built a computer before. Someone mentioned the optical drive and the cables, and ever since then, they are the only things I see!! That is why I want to change the cables at the least. Can anyone recommend some nice sleeved cables that are compatible with the PSU. I also like the molex material a lot more than the soft para-cord. I am thinking dark black cables would really set this off. And remember, I want this thing to look like a fighter/ stealth jet!

I really liked the Corsair cables that I saw online. I was wondering if they sold them in singles, because I think we only need the 24pin, and 8/6 pin for the gpu. I couldn't see any other cables inside the computer. Keep in mind, I have no idea what I am talking about so please explain like I'm 5. Thanks again!

Oh, and are there any black optical drives? I looked at both blue ray and DVD drives and they are all white and gray :/