Squeaking noise coming from somewhere in my PC - should I be concerned?

dwluv3333

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Recently I've been noticing my computer makes a random intermittent high-pitched squeaking noise. I'd say it's akin to coil whine but sounds a little different frequency wise?

I'm not 100% sure which part it's coming from but if I HAD to guess, it seems to be the power supply. I can't re-create the noise on command, and it doesn't seem to correlate to any specific activity or stress load. (i.e. it might happen while idling but on the other hand be totally silent while playing intensive games).

Aside from the noise it makes, my computer seems stable as usual and nothing seems wrong. I've got a quality 650 W Antec PSU powering a GTX 660.

Is this something I should be concerned about and possibly look further into? Or just suck it up and play on?

Thanks!!

masterdam17

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Ok to check the sound do this .
Do the first test provided by prime95 program, which will test 100% your cpu and so cpu fan will be heard at maximum speed.
Do the furmark GPU test for maximum fan speed on the GPU this one should also be heavy on the PSU.
To test the psu for noise theres no way to do it.. im sorry but if you notice both noise on CPU and GPU stress tests then it might be the psu.