i5-4690K, choppy streaming?

Electrolyzed

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
I am using OBS to stream League of Legends with max settings at 1080p 60FPS and the gameplay is choppy. Frame rates stay around 200~, so it's not a problem with my GPU.

I thought streaming League would've been a breeze for a 4690K OC'd at 4.4 GHz. I could understand if I was playing a more CPU intensive game, but League of Legends?

It's playable/tolerable, but the choppiness is extremely noticeable.

Was I expecting too much from a 4690K or is something in my OBS settings possibly messed up?

Electrolyzed

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

GTX 770.

I did some Google'ing and it turns out using monitor capture is extremely slow.

DubbleClick

Admirable
Haha, that explains it.

By the way, with your 770 you can also use shadowplay. With aero enabled and desktop capture, you can stream and record in about lossless quality without taking a big performance hit. Maybe like 5%, a few frames per second.

Electrolyzed

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

ShadowPlay is to record the gameplay prior to pressing the designated hotkey.

If you're talking about the built-in Twitch streaming, it only goes up to 720p 60 FPS.

DubbleClick

Admirable
ShadowPlay is the name of the nvidia app in geforce experience. Background recording is called shadow mode, iirc.
Im pretty sure streaming goes up to 1080p 60fps on the lastest beta driver, but I might be mistaken here.

But anyway, you can also use h.264 encoding in OBS. There is no point in not using it when it produces same quality but doesn't cost you close to as much performance as normal recording with like lagarith or x.264 does.