Whats the best type of cooling

TSCShady

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I am planning on building a computer but i don't know much about cooling. I know there are many types from liquid to fan but i don't know much about what both of them bring. Whats the best kind of cooling system that keeps things cool but fairly quiet.

Objectively, the best cooling method is custom water as you can potentially make a loop thats dead silent, extremely flexible and performs far better than CLC's (like a H100i) or Air could achieve, however its really expensive. Where with Air and CLC's your talking $100 at max, custom water considers $200 an absolute minimum.

Assuming your building a typical desktop, stick with air. More than likely a ~$30 heatsink will serve your needs just fine.
Also, CLC's like the H100i do not inherently perform better or are quieter than air heatsinks, they typically perform a bit worse than similarly priced air (this does flip at the top end though, where they have a small performance advantage) while potentially being louder. The main benefit to them is in small form factor builds and aesthetics.

TSCShady

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Whats an H100i? This is not a typical computer either though. I plan on building a gaming computer, im talking some BF4 on high. I enjoy gaming so id be doing a lot of it, i'm not saying like "Oh ill play 30 min today" No! im talking like 2-3 hour sessions. Whats all involved with custom water?

Have you done any research at all?

So your building a typical rig then. Talking about builds to max out BF4 is nothing special on these forums, neither is 2-3hr game sessions.

A lot more than you would think.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2232179/water-cooling-meta-sticky-read-water-cooling-inquiries-content.html
The info thread is a good place to start.

TSCShady

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014