Sick of HD7950 Crossfire Setup

unchiusm

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Hey there forum!

I'm desperate.

I need help with my crossfire setup . It keeps freezing and doing random stuff.

Yesterday I reinstalled my windows and set up my Gygabite Windforce 3x Crossfire . It worked like a bliss ! . I only played one game yesterday and it was PlanetSide 2 , the FPS increase was really significant but today I OCed my cards just a bit (975/1475) and after that the game ran even better.

After like 20 minutes it froze and the PC restarted (It wasn't an overheat issue) and since then I just can't get it to work even on normal clocks .

I unninstaled Catalyst tried to reinstall it while the both cards were in the PC but the setup would freeze everytime until I left only 1 card in . Same with games and benchmarks , when I start them up they freeze the PC and the only way to unfreeze it is to restart the whole computer.

I was using Catalyst 14.4 64 Bit.

This hasn't happened to me the first time (most of the times I was using just one GPU) . Most of the times the crossfire runs for like 1 -2 or 3 days and after that I get random freezes and BSODS

Things I tried so far:

Swapping PCI-E Ports
Testing each card out at once at normal and OC clocks (Worked aswell)
Switching the 2nd card to be the main card
Trying Out beta drivers
Updating BIOS
Reinstalling OS
Switching GPU Bios

I really don't know what is happening here anymore . If one of the cards would be faulty it wouldn't run at all . It's not a PSU problem since sometimes it workes perfectly up to 2 or 3 days.

Oh and almost forgot .. I get different symptos all the time . For example today I just got freezes , a time I got artifacts the other time before reinstalling OS i was getting BSODs

Here are my PC Specs:

ASrock 990FX Extreme4
FX8350 @ Stock 4GHz
128GB SSD
Corsair RM850 PSU
H100 CPU Cooler Push and Pull
16 Gigs of Kingston HyperX at 1600 MHz
NZXT Phantom (Really well ventilated so Overheating for GPUs shouldn't be a problem)

Help me please before I set my pc on fire ... Thank you so much in advance!

Have a nice day !

unchiusm

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
I just realised something . The RM850 has a feature when the PSU is not underload it won't spin , but even with my CF enabled the fan doesn't spin , maybe the PSU is overheating?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah it could be faulty. Under load it should be spinning the fan with 2x 7950 and a 8350.

unchiusm

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Yeah it could be but yet sometimes I can play games for hours and hours at ultra settings and everything works likea bliss . The game I'm talking about is Planetside 2 a very CPU and GPU intesinve game

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

And does it spin then?

unchiusm

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
TBH I haven't checked since yesterday my PC kept freezing ... If i can't find a solution I'll just sell these cards seperatly since together they don't like to work at all and get a r9 290x .

I'll check if the fan spins when I get the CF working