5ms response time (Typical) on monitor specs

ajchavez91

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hello everyone, i'm thinking of finally making the transition from 768p to 1080p, so i've been looking around for monitors with TN panel (i game quite a lot).

Due to limitations in my country (El Salvador) i'd prefere local warranty, so i have to settle for what's available here right now. And i've found this monitor: AOC E2370SD, and looking at the specs, it says it has a 5ms (typical) responste time. The rest of the specs are somewhat irrelevant to me. I'm not that picky with colors and stuff, i prefere having something that won't give me much blurring or stuff.

Now, i've been reading a lot and it seems that most manufactores use the G2G response time to advertise their monitors and that is just a gimmick to display a faster time. So i'd like to know: Is 5ms (typical) the same as G2G? or is it B2B?

It is a TN panel, which means it's faster than VA and IPS panels. I already tried a VA panel and it was awful when going into dark areas in BF4... everything got really blurry, i felt like i was moving in slow motion...

But id like to know if that spec of 5ms is B2B or G2G before buying it.

My current monitor is a 5 year old hp w1858, has a 5ms on/off response time and it gives me no noticeable blur on any game i've played, so i'd like to know what the on/off means also.

Thank you.

dovah-chan

Honorable
G2G = gray to gray and it is not the same measurement method as B2B (black to black). A G2G 5ms monitor is faster than a B2B 5ms monitor. That being said, any monitor that is under 8ms is usually good for gaming but many people consider 5ms to be the maximum for gaming. Can you see if the Asus VX238H is available in your country? It's an inexpensive 23" 1ms monitor and is really good for its price. I recommend it very much.

Response time usually isn't the marketing gimmick but it's apart of it. I think you may be confusing contrast ratio with response time. A lot of manufacturers will list their monitors as having extremely high contrast ratio such as 10000000:1 when that is possible, but only in laboratory settings with perfect lighting.

ajchavez91

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

There aren't any Asus monitors available in my country. The previous monitor that i ended up returning had a 6ms G2G response, but it was a VA panel and i read that the problem with those is serious ghosting on black or dark areas.

So, do you have any idea if the response time depicted on the specs of that monitor corresponds to B2B or G2G?

You have it backwards, btb takes longer so a 5ms btb is better than 5ms of gtg. Everyone uses gtg. Typical just means they are giving the average while most give the best possible just to look better. But it's still not a reliable spec as there is no standardization or regulation. Just check reviews and see if they have ghosting issues.

dovah-chan

Honorable
It just depends on what company you purchased a VA-based monitor from and when it was made. Lately BenQ is doing a great job at giving VA panels market presence and acknowledgement. But VA panels do suffer from a few innate issues which includes ghosting but they've done a lot to try to correct them and it's looking great so far.

From what it seems it appears to be G2G although the marketing text on the monitor advertises 1000:1 (which is the contrast ratio the user will typically experience) which strikes me as odd. Overall it seems okay and it actually has a good viewing angle radius with 170 H. If AOC monitors are available in your country then I would see if the G2460PQU is in stock. It's a good bit more pricier than your chosen monitor but it's a 1ms 144Hz monitor.

dovah-chan

Honorable

X___X All this talk of monitor specs and conversion rates confuses me sometimes. Monitors are the absolute worst when it comes to measuring their performance and comparing them. Unless you are well versed and read up a lot on them you're really at the mercy of the manufacturer's marketing team. I am aware that the ms "rating" on each monitors does represent the average of what users will experience.

ajchavez91

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I guess i'm gonna have to ask if there a return policy for the monitor if i end up not liking it and want my money back. Unfortunately, finding good monitors in my country is really hard... there are mostly HDTV's and i know about the problemas i can encounter with those...

Thanks for the help. I'll see what i can do and hopefully i'll make a good choice. :D