Worth Upgrading GPU? Or Is a Complete Overhaul Due?

Bre1899

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Hey Guys!

Long time TH reader and have always came here when seeking advice or ideas for PC. I've been out of the PC world mix, if you will, for about 4 years. My current build (specs below) was built in late 2010, with the exception of the video card. For the past few years I've actually done a lot of console gaming due to the way my studio apartment is setup with the recent addition of a PS4...essentially my PC is hooked to my 50" TV, which is a good 8-10' from where my couch is. So, my resolution on all of my gaming will be 1920x1080/120hz. BUT...I'm a PC gamer at heart and with The Witcher 3 coming out next year, and with me finally getting into Rome II as well as playing Metro:Last Light and Skyrim (using a 360 controller wirelessly).

So here's my question, wanting to upgrade my video card to something suitable for next-gen gaming, preferably with higher settings...maybe not completely maxed out but relatively close. The Witcher 3 is my highlight so far for next year, so that is what I'm eyeing as being able to near max out (without ubersampling if it has it as W2 did). Based on my current rig, do you guys think it would be wise to bite the bullet, sell my 670 and get a 780? I've looked into going the 670 SLI route, but in the long run, I still think within a year or so I'd have to upgrade the 670s...so I'm not sure if that's really a feasible option. OR...is my entire rig past due for an overhaul?! What do you guys think? THANKS in advance!

Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CPU: i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz OC'd to 3.36GHz w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
PSU: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
HD: WD 500G SATA 3.0
Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GTX 670 2GB

I would recommend upgrading your CPU and mobo first, then consider upgrading your GPU and DRAM. Right now, for modern games your CPU is more of bottleneck than your GPU. For a dual channel mobo, you'd be better off going with 2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB and if you get a Haswell chip look for 1866/9 sticks or better.