Upgrade win 7 home premium or stick with win 8.

Zorkel

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Hi, I can't quite decide if I should upgrade my oem license of win 7 home premium to ultimate. Or stick with my retail copy of windows 8. Currently using a trial of windows 7 enterprise that runs out in 10 days. The main features I love of windows 8 is how easy it is to sync computer with mobile devices. Particulary google calendar to iphone//android. On the otherhand windows 8 seems to have issues with older games//applications. And I'm not to fond of 8.1 due to the fact it forces me to use onedrive with no ability to disable it.

So wonder if people could list pros/cons with windows 7 ultimate vs windows 8.

The main advantage with windows 7 ultimate compared to regular windows 8 is the extra security and business use. If you use a lot of security features like bitlocker and file encryption then 7 wins. However if you like the live tiles (metro UI) and like the idea of everything being updated on the fly then choose 8.

Me personally I use win 8 instead of 8.1 as I had issues with it but the performance of 8 and 7 are very similar.

Zorkel

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

Well I haven't quite seen the need to encrypt my files or use the business parts of windows.
And well I do love a lot of the features in windows 8. But there is a few flaws I have noticed as well that's quite annoying. but when I get my main computer back I will probably stick with regular 8 and ditch the 8.1.

That is probably the best thing to do. Have fun using your using win 8 on your desktop.