Input to my new build

Jens Ole Knudsen

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Hello people

I've spent the last few days trying to put together a build, which will give me a relatively silent, but high-end gaming build. I've sort of settled on this build and now I'd like your input:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hWj4P6

I'll be playing MMOs, RTSs and 4X games. I'm thinking EQ Next, CIV: Beyond Earth, Europa Universalis IV and War Thunder. I dislike long load times and I would like to play in 1080p at highest settings.

I like having the same computer for a long time without continuous upgrading - As I get attached to the parts ;)

I'm undecided about the graphics card, as I might wait for the 980 cards.

I might be doing a modest overclock, but nothing fancy.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the great suggestions that I'm sure you guys have :D

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I would get an r9 290x. Better Price/performance ratio.
its really not worth it buying overpriced RAM, the sad truth is that it only affects about 2 or 3 games. It isnt worth spending extra.
You probably want a full tower case, they have better cable management and can hold more components (should you choose to upgrade in the future.)
You may want to consider getting 2x8gb sticks of ram for futureproofing. Many games are now requiring 8gb as the minimum nowadays.
Your CPU is ok, with that cooler I assume you plan on overclocking
If you make the changes stated above, you should be pretty solid.
Heres my edited build for you.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R8scBm

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
The GTX 780 TI is only slightly (5-6%) faster than the r9 290x but it costs much more.
EDIT: heres a GPUboss link for you to compare the GPUs. Both of them will be very good, its your decision to spend the extre 200$ for 5-10 FPS.

Jens Ole Knudsen

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Thank you for the input :) I'd like to know why you think the RAM are overpriced? I had a hard time finding the right RAM, but I figured that low latency around 1866 would be the sweet spot, with anything higher clocked being the expensive stuff?

1, The CM Hyper 212 EVO is good enough
2, The Asus Z97-A would be better as it is of the legendary Asus quality
3, SSds can be found with less $/GB
4, If you intend to SLI, 850 watts won't do it.
Otherwise, you're good to go!

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

You can get better boards at the same or cheaper price as the Z97-A. 850W is also enough for 780ti sli with an OC'd i5.

TRENDING THREADS