Need opinion on my Gaming Rig build.

Christyles

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Hi All,

I am trying to build a rig that would allow me to play games on Ultra / High settings that of course can be used within an acceptable time frame ( 5-6yrs? or more if can ). I am not into OCing so I am basing the parts on what I read so far is the best. I know gaming rigs rely on GPU so if I would be able to use the top tier GPU and lower other cost that would help me a lot. Here's what I've come up so far:

Proc: Intel i4690k ( I know " K " is for OCing but it's new so that's why I picked it )
Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 ( overkill I guess but this is the best so far that I have read )
GPU: Asus R9 280X DCII TOP 3GB DDR5 ( newer GPU's are too expensive at the moment but if I could lower down the price of other parts and get a higher tier that would be great )
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD ( for OS )
HDD: Seagate 7200rpm ( for files )
RAM: G-Skill RipJawX 1866MHz CL9 8gb ( going 16gb is a bit overkill )
PSU: Seasonic X Series 650W Modular Gold ( the best on what I read and should last for a long time but quite a price )
CASE: Corsair 450d ( dust proof and would fit the H100i on its top )
CPU FAN: Corsair H100i Hydro Cooling Performance ( I know I am not OCing but I don't want to see a big fan in the middle. looks )
Display: Asus VG248QE ( not available here in my country so I have to purchase online )

Thanks for your inputs guys.

logainofhades

Titan
I would go with a less expensive Asrock Z97X Killer, as it is priced about the same as a Z97 extreme4 right now. Swap the 840 pro for a crucial MX100. Depending on the price of the ram in question, you might be able to go with a less expensive 1600 kit. Great PSU, but an Evga 650 gold is cheaper and still a decent PSU. Case is personal choice, but I would go with the Corsair 300r. H100i is good. Asus monitors are pretty good. Go with the less expensive components listed above. You might have enough to then go with a better R9 290 for GPU.

Christyles

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

So if it'll last for 3yrs what possible parts besides from GPU do I have to upgrade? If I get a higher Tier GPU will it give me more years?

Christyles

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

I thought about getting Asrock extreme6 but not available here in SG or on the store that I will be getting my parts don't sell extreme6. What mobo is good for OC if ever I decided to?

yes ofc