Can't remove heat spreader, move cooler fans?

CrysisX

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Hey all,

Not sure if I'm in the right section here but here goes.

After a long wait I (finally) got all of my new components with the help of all of you. What I DID somehow overlook is the fact that the Noctua NH-D14 does not fit (stock) with the Trident X modules.
I have the Asus Maximus Hero 7, Trident X 8GB x 2, Noctua NH-D14

Now my question is, I read to just take off the heat spreaders of the modules, which seems easy enough, only to find out the screws were stripped. So I could either RMA these (and wait what seems like forever) or I've heard you can move the rightmost fan to the left of the left heatsink (so it'd go from left to right - fan, heatsink, fan, heatsink and they will fit with the heat spreaders on.

What are your recommendations? Personally I like the look of the fins on the Tridents, but if moving the fan on the cooler makes it less practical I wouldn't want to do that.

Please help!

byza

Honorable
You could raise your fan to sit over the top or put it on the other side, just make sure you swap the clip around so the left most fan pulls air through the fins.

CrysisX

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for the quick response byza, so either A) raise the fan and see if it fits then, or B) move the fan ensuring it's pulling air from the left side.

If A doesn't work, are you aware if moving the fan causes any drop in performance?

TRENDING THREADS