laptop multi gpu - run 2nd monitor at 2556 x 1440

Bhines8874

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
I just purchased an ASUS PB278q and want to test the 2556 x 1440 settings.
The laptop I have has Nvidia Geforce GT 650M that will do the resolution but the integrated card Intel HD 4000 will only do 1080P. As I learned the desktop is run by the lower gpu for power savings. Is there a way to by pass the power saving mode to run 2556 x 1440 on one and then 1080p on the laptop monitor? My main goal is not for long term use. Testing the PB287q to see if this system will run the monitor so I can build a desk top without over building and spending all of my allowance.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Solution
Hi, you can try going into the nvidia control panel and changing the preferred graphics unit, but I am not sure if it will change for the desktop too. It is at least worth a try.

Also, while the reference nvidia 650M may be capable of supporting that resolution, it is possible the laptop port is an older revision that doesn't, or that the laptop drivers prevent it, especially if the laptop is now several years old or the manufacturer used cheap, outdated parts. I believe that HDMI only supported 2556x1440 starting with revision 1.3

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Hi, you can try going into the nvidia control panel and changing the preferred graphics unit, but I am not sure if it will change for the desktop too. It is at least worth a try.

Also, while the reference nvidia 650M may be capable of supporting that resolution, it is possible the laptop port is an older revision that doesn't, or that the laptop drivers prevent it, especially if the laptop is now several years old or the manufacturer used cheap, outdated parts. I believe that HDMI only supported 2556x1440 starting with revision 1.3

Solution