How to set up dual monitors, one in GPU, one in motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben30024

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I recently got a second monitor, and I'm excited to use it.

However, when I plug it in, it simply says 'No signal'. I've traced this issue to the fact that I'm trying to use one monitor in my GPU (Nvidia 9800GT) and one in my motherboard (ECS A960M-M3).

I've heard that there's a BIOS setting to enable the on-board GPU for a second monitor, but I cannot find it. What can I do to get the second monitor to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
There should be an option in BIOS to enable discrete graphics.

Monitors should never be attached to both. Either all monitors into the GPU if you're using it or all into the motherboard if not using the GPU.
There should be an option in BIOS to enable discrete graphics.

Monitors should never be attached to both. Either all monitors into the GPU if you're using it or all into the motherboard if not using the GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You card should support both monitors, plug them both into the graphics card.

You may have to restart your computer.

Was your single monitor ALWAYS plugged into the port coming from the motherboard before? if so you were never actually using your graphics card.

ben30024

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

I Would plug them both into my GPU, but they're both VGA and i only have one VGA to DVI adapter, and i'm using it for the monitor hooked to my GPU.

Don't do it the hard way. Plug both screens into the GPU and run them both of off that. Its about 5 clicks in windows to get it setup, no messing around in BIOS and getting drivers to play nice.

I don't know why people keep trying to do dual screens off the GPU and motherboard but it is taking a very simple thing and making it far more difficult than it should be. I've done dual screen setup on about a dozen machines, it never takes more than 5 minutes unless you do something dumb.

You can buy another VGA to DVI adapter for like $3-5

Status
Not open for further replies.